2 way lighting problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals!

Called round a house today to change a smashed 2 gang light switch. Opened up the switch and found it had been wired using 2 3 core and earth cables and a twin and earth with all cores used. The yellows cores went into the commons on both the gangs, one of the reds from the 3 core and earth went into the L1 with the blue going into the L2, on the other gang the blue from the othe 3 core went into the L2 along with the black from the twin and earth and in the L1 was the reds from the 3 core and the twin and earth? Replaced the face to test circuit but found upstairs switch didn't switch on/off downstairs hall switch but had to be turned on or the downstairs switch wouldn't work on the downstairs light. THe upstairs light works fine from upstairs but if it is turned on downstairs when its turned off from up stairs it blinks as you flick the switch but stays on? Believing I'd made an almighty error got a bit concerend until the home owner said thats how its always been since we moved in! The asked if I could put it right so going back again next week but wondered if anyone had any idea what was going on to save me a bit of time and hassle. Think the previous owner was a bit of a "diy'er" as the switch I think was originally the downstairs switch for the upstairs light is now blanked off. Do people think I would be better just starting again and rewiring it or struggling on? The cables run inside the walls in conduits so are airly accesible.

hi everyone, first post, i don`t think you have a major problem, just a strapper mixed up, i take it the switch with only the 3core and e is working ok, if you can sort out your feed (prob the red) and check the other switch plate at the end of the 3coreand e, hope this helps

hi everyone, first post, i don`t think you have a major problem, just a strapper mixed up, i take it the switch with only the 3core and e is working ok, if you can sort out your feed (prob the red) and check the other switch plate at the end of the 3coreand e, hope this helps
Yep! howdy do there Johno! :)

Have you found the virtual bar yet m8?

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkBlushing

Grab a few Guiness Drinkand welcome. :) :D

I would agree with a strapper mixup somewhere,

maybe a bit of buzzing out with a continuity tested with the circuit dead,

don't think it will be too hard to find?

Hi Guys & Gals!Called round a house today to change a smashed 2 gang light switch. Opened up the switch and found it had been wired using 2 3 core and earth cables and a twin and earth with all cores used.

The yellows cores went into the commons on both the gangs,

one of the reds from the 3 core and earth went into the L1

with the blue going into the L2,

on the other gang the blue from the othe 3 core went into the L2 along with the black from the twin and earth

and in the L1 was the reds from the 3 core and the twin and earth?

Replaced the face to test circuit but found upstairs switch didn't switch on/off downstairs hall switch but had to be turned on or the downstairs switch wouldn't work on the downstairs light.

THe upstairs light works fine from upstairs but if it is turned on downstairs when its turned off from up stairs it blinks as you flick the switch but stays on?

Believing I'd made an almighty error got a bit concerend until the home owner said thats how its always been since we moved in! The asked if I could put it right so going back again next week but wondered if anyone had any idea what was going on to save me a bit of time and hassle. Think the previous owner was a bit of a "diy'er" as the switch I think was originally the downstairs switch for the upstairs light is now blanked off.

Do people think I would be better just starting again and rewiring it or struggling on? The cables run inside the walls in conduits so are airly accesible.
Have you opened up the landing switch?

I am guessing that at the landing the yellow which should be common is onto either L1 or L2

and the red or blue has been put on the common..

Its called a conversion 2 way round here, saved using a connector on the sw wire which used to be a hanging offence ( never knew why) It meant converting a 1 way sw to a 2 way where L and SW would be in the same switch. If I find out how to post a diagram , I will.

Deke

While Sandra was typin..

I went an got the Crayola carayons out the pencil box!!!

Top one the right way..

Bottom four showing the 4 switch combinations with two strapper wires crossed..

Assume my green is your yellow!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/SPECIALLOCATION/two-wayfault.jpg

This can happen if DIY bob swaps a switch of different make..

ones labelled "C" "L1" "L2" the other "L1" "L2" "L3"

DIY starts going L1-L1, L2-L2 then L3-C

which is wrong...

and will give the symptoms you have!:)Guiness Drink

Its called a conversion 2 way round here, saved using a connector on the sw wire which used to be a hanging offence ( never knew why) It meant converting a 1 way sw to a 2 way where L and SW would be in the same switch. If I find out how to post a diagram , I will.Deke
open a photobucket account, then you can paste links to pics you put there:D:x

thank you for the welcomes, it`s great to be junior, interesting problem , super replies, def the friendliest forum for sparks,

thank you for the welcomes, it`s great to be junior, interesting problem , super replies, def the friendliest forum for sparks,
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyGuiness Drink

I should ruddy well hope so!! :eek:

only problem is you wrote the last be too small!!! :(

You gettin stingy on the ole ink Johno X( X(

def the friendliest forum for sparks

thats how you should do it! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O;)

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyGuiness DrinkI should ruddy well hope so!! :eek:

only problem is you wrote the last be too small!!! :(

You gettin stingy on the ole ink Johno X( X(

def the friendliest forum for sparks

thats how you should do it! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O;)
AGREED :^O

Ahhh, the old two way switch and the DIYer conundrum, 2 way switches should have a sticker attached ...

"DIYers: This connection device may contain more than two wires and probably some of the same colour. Leave the effing thing well alone! Phone an effing spark and he will connect it correctly for you for a minimal fee!! You will end up clicking the wife into darkness when she is trying to have an effing jobbie!!!"

You will find it in the end, would think you should have a T&E at the switch upstairs connected to L1 and L2 of the switch that doesn't work. The flickering you described sounds like you are picking up a dual feed from somewhere (another supply is being switched onto the already on circuit) check the L1, L2 connections of the switch that doesn't work.

You can do quite a lot of buggering about with 2 way switches resulting in some strange combinations of connections (ta SL!) but with these ones you just need to strip it all oot, find the feed(s) and work from there.

?:-\