Building site temporaries

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the site temporary lighting   usually supplied by main contractor , consisting of a twin rubber 7/.029  (2.5mm)  cable  running all over the place at 110V  .    You then carried a lampholder  which had  two offset spikes , it fitted onto the cable , held either by a wedge or a  turn clamp ,  spikes dug into cable , insert 110V  lamp & let there be light .      

I encountered it at school when I was about 15 and assisting with the school plays. Recognising my performance skills I used to build scenery and do the stage lighting. 

The holders used wedges and had a couple of lugs so they could be screwed to wood batten, etc   It was all on 240v  too!

Never saw it again, but then I didn't go into the construction industry.

Were they not called 'festoon lampholders'

i know the stuff was still available a few years ago

i have a site in warrington that is a regular customer

when job was finished they just unplugged all,the 110 and left it behind ceilings, trapped on top of walls etc.  Hate to think how many metres of it I've pulled out when installing their data infrastructure!.....made some handy leads up,though!

How very bizarre, I found some of these in my shed the other day, 2x 10m lengths of rubber cable with plugs on, and 10x screw on lamp holders.

Didn't use them on site, but for temporary displays such as Halloween or Christmas with a selection of coloured lamps!

I remember that my parents had some mains festoon lighting of this type in one of their glasshouses (they used to be commercial market gardeners).... I'm assuming that it must have been IP65 as there was obviously a lot of water about

Ahh the trip down memory lane turning up to site with a drum of 6192, boxes of festoon lampholders and a load of rough service lamps to put the temporary site lighting in