CU Move

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buildall

Reaction score
I have been asked to move a cu from the cellar to by the front door and this would involve running the tails up an inside wall. The wall is a 4" brick wall and will have to be chased. The only way I see of doing this is to use swa cable but I do not see how to terminate it at either end. Cu end I want to come in the back to hide the cable, I can terminate it with a gland but there will be nothing to attach it too. Same problem at the meter end. I guess the only other option is to use steel conduit and earth it. I am guessing it would have to be 32mm.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

You could use a flush mounted CU, chase it into the wall. The metal back box has knock outs to terminate SWA. Also because it sounds like your tails will be over 3m you'll need a fused isolater at meter which you will also be able to terminate SWA at.http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/CP_Range_Dual_RCD/index.html

second one down. I know you can get a few other makes of flush boards too

matt
I understand your idea but it would not leave enough wall behind it and imo chasing this out I would be bound to break through into the next room. Tails should be OK for length as the meter is directly below the wall.

yeah im with you mate, overlooked the fact its only a 4" brick, wouldnt want the back of of board poking into next room!

I would put still put the swa into a DP isolater at meter, depending on demand fuse it down and use smallest SWA cable possible. then suppose you could use an adaptable box next to the CU to terminate.

I've never used it, but you could use concentric cable and trunk/conduit.

If you use 3 Core SWA (3RD CORE AS CPC) then you can just gland at supply end to earth up armour and snip off at CU end just bring inner 3 core into CU.

I would not class that as good workmanship. Should be properly glanded both ends with the CU one potentially being a nylon gland and Earthed at the cut out end.

And why would you feel the need to gland it? You wouldn't gland T&E (I'm referring to the CU end of course) So long as the cable is supported i.e clipped where's the problem? An all insulated CU with a great big TRS gland in it will look awful IMO.

T&E is different. How can you ensure its properly supported if its not glanded? How can you claim good workmanship if its not terminated correctly? It would be the equiv on T&E of stripping the isulation back outside the CU and just leaving it hanging in the air.

I have been asked to move a cu from the cellar to by the front door and this would involve running the tails up an inside wall. The wall is a 4" brick wall and will have to be chased. The only way I see of doing this is to use swa cable but I do not see how to terminate it at either end. Cu end I want to come in the back to hide the cable, I can terminate it with a gland but there will be nothing to attach it too. Same problem at the meter end. I guess the only other option is to use steel conduit and earth it. I am guessing it would have to be 32mm.Any other ideas would be welcome.
or use an earthed steel plate

pic from a recent job

DSCF3238.jpg

T&E is different. How can you ensure its properly supported if its not glanded? How can you claim good workmanship if its not terminated correctly? It would be the equiv on T&E of stripping the isulation back outside the CU and just leaving it hanging in the air.
I disagree.

Firstly how is it comparable with stripping T&E back outside the CU? The whole of the SWA would be brought into the CU, it's only the armour strands that are being cut back and where they are cut heat shrink or something would be used, then there would be no need for any such gland.

Secondly cleats would ensure that the cable would never be pulled out of the CU just as clips would on T&E if they were surface mounted, therefore ensuring support. So I fail to see how you think it would be wrong.

And why would you feel the need to gland it? You wouldn't gland T&E (I'm referring to the CU end of course) So long as the cable is supported i.e clipped where's the problem? An all insulated CU with a great big TRS gland in it will look awful IMO.
all insulated c/u i garage with armoured gland and shroud on supply to new pond circuit, (none rcd sub main i might add ;) ; ) )

View attachment 543

Badger forgive me for saying this, but if that SWA loop gets a tug, the bottom of that CU is going to come off. They aren't designed to have cable glands installed. Would look alot better if the cable entered it without the gland also with a nice cleat to keep it in place. Only my opinion however.

But the swa is then not terminated.
But it is still terminated, just not via a gland. A T&E wouldn't need a gland, but it is still terminated. The use of a TRS gland is not necessary unless there was an IP requirement and that would also apply to a T&E. Where is the rule that says you have to use a gland? If you can tell me then I'm happy to stand corrected.

I am surprised that no one has even mentioned my idea about using steel conduit with normal tails inside and conected to earth.

I don't want to enter the glanding argument, but have you considered how weak the 4" wall will be after you have chased out for the SWA or 32mm steel conduit ( which I see as totally OTT) TBH . I would not even consider chasing a sub main into a 4" wall TBH .

Latest posts