CU Move

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is that contradictory. The instructions say neither end is left floating so that allows for using isolating glands.I do however think my crap talking cowboy comment may have been a bit harsh in reflection and apologize for that.
I think the "Floating" comment refers to its Electrical continuity connection and not its Phisical connection.

I think the "Floating" comment refers to its Electrical continuity connection and not its Phisical connection.
I'm not convinced as it talks about being bonded at one end so it wouldn't be electrically 'floating' but may be physically floating.

I think you need to re read your Quote Ian.

Where did that come from by the way?

I think you need to re read your Quote Ian.Where did that come from by the way?
Will have to dig it out as I am not on my home machine atm.

I can see using a metal flush mounted cu as the gland will mount to that but I still do not see how to terminate the meter end. Also I will have to double insulate the cables after the glands. Last time I did this I had to strip the secondary insulation from some left over meter tails.

Use a 4x4 Metal adaptable box gland SWA on to that, sheath cores and bring out Tails to Meter and CPC to 4 way Earth Block MET, and bond metal box from MET.

Use a 4x4 Metal adaptable box gland SWA on to that, sheath cores and bring out Tails to Meter and CPC to 4 way Earth Block MET, and bond metal box from MET.
Or if you are concerned about the extra insulation after the box, get a box big enough to mount henlys in too and take the tails to the box.

Why not just run some 3" x 2" trunking floor to ceiling and put them in that..

You'll have to run your extended circuits somewhere and this will make it reasonably neat and you won't have to do any chasing.

What about 16mm sq 2 core MICC? Rated @ 102A clipped direct.

A LOT smaller than SWA, earthed outer, metallic protection, fire resistant, non-sheathed would also be non flammable and LSF.

Sizing of earthing/bonding may need to be increased?

Hence the additional cpc requirement.

Not sure of the CSA outer on HD 2 core MICC to know if it would be acceptable for the requirements depending on the CPD.

My GN1 is in the van, I'm not that close at the mo, I'll dig it out later and see what the outer CSA is.

While you could work out the approprite sized conductor for Earth based on the Ze of the installation etc.. I would be happier using table 54.7 as the Ze could drop, your calc's will no longer be correct and you may have installed an undersized conductor.

I would not rely on the outer for the Earth just to be Earthed to provide protection for those cables so would either use a 3 core cable or run a seperate Earth along side it.

Started the job today and found the wall where I need to mount the CU is an old lath and plaster partition so no chasing. It is open at the top and is built of the timber floor at the bottom so can be accessed from the cellar. I am now thinking of using 2" X 2" trunking inside the partition and running my tails and other cables inside but not sure if this would give enough protection.

Started the job today and found the wall where I need to mount the CU is an old lath and plaster partition so no chasing. It is open at the top and is built of the timber floor at the bottom so can be accessed from the cellar. I am now thinking of using 2" X 2" trunking inside the partition and running my tails and other cables inside but not sure if this would give enough protection.
metal trunking would be

Latest posts