Disclaimer !!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
................ As the Don is a landlord his views would be appreciated .........
Hope the Don is not "THE" landlord in this instance..... ?:| :eek:

otherwise you will have blown the element of surprise

& he will know what letter is coming! :p :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Sorry Guys i might have misled you on this post.I do Pat testing on all the landlord provided items

At the same time i do a visual on the installation sockets/switches/bonding

i test the smoke alarms

i test the rcd (its not uncommon for them not to trip)

and make comments accordingly on my paperwork,,,but with something that has ,in my opinion, a sufficient danger potential for the tenant then i will raise the issue and provide a price for the fix

This informs the agency that there are safety issues.From this they decide what action to take because if the tenant injures themselves then a

disclaimer is their cover if it goes to court. Im covered the agency is covered and the landlord is on his own.

One of the agencies i work for said if they were taken to court that they must show 'all reasonable precautions were taken'

hence the disclaimer for me and the agency

As the Don is a landlord his views would be appreciated

hope this is clear
Visual or not.

Code 1 faults, are considered a danger to life and must be addressed.

Code 2 faults require improvement, and in the Don's opinion should also be addressed sooner, rather than later.

All reasonable steps, is simply to remove the problem or faults within the installation concerned.

There is no middle ground here.

The agency in the Don's opinion, should ensure all work as specified by the Electrician is complied with, to ensure safety.

This then ensures all parties have made reasonable steps in the interests of the tenants.

Don

Visual or not.Code 1 faults, are considered a danger to life and must be addressed.

Code 2 faults require improvement, and in the Don's opinion should also be addressed sooner, rather than later.

All reasonable steps, is simply to remove the problem or faults within the installation concerned.

There is no middle ground here.

The agency in the Don's opinion, should ensure all work as specified by the Electrician is complied with, to ensure safety.

This then ensures all parties have made reasonable steps in the interests of the tenants.

Don
Thanks for that,,,,i think we all agree with that opinion

otherwise whats the point of it all ?????

IMHO

I still think it should be a periodic,

albeit a LIMITATIONS - VISUAL INSPECTION ONLY

otherwise im not sure how a simple piece of paper could be shown to have taken all reasonable precautions.

no one has any proof that an inspection ever took place,

a letter could be printed and dated at any time.

surely there is nothing to stop you from just issuing a PIR under these circumstances.?

sorry to be argumentative on this, but if you do a visual inspection on a periodic basis in the competence as an electrician then that is a periodic inspection, tho limited to a visual inspection only.

I think you need to concentrate more on covering yourself rather than on giving the landlord a cheaper job.

whether you issue a letter or not the agency can say they employed you to do an inspection and you didnt notify them of any faults.

they could say same with a cert, but you could always get a signature [RECEIVED] and date stamp on your copy. :|

IMHOI still think it should be a periodic,

albeit a LIMITATIONS - VISUAL INSPECTION ONLY

otherwise im not sure how a simple piece of paper could be shown to have taken all reasonable precautions.

no one has any proof that an inspection ever took place,

a letter could be printed and dated at any time.

surely there is nothing to stop you from just issuing a PIR under these circumstances.?

sorry to be argumentative on this, but if you do a visual inspection on a periodic basis in the competence as an electrician then that is a periodic inspection, tho limited to a visual inspection only.

I think you need to concentrate more on covering yourself rather than on giving the landlord a cheaper job.

whether you issue a letter or not the agency can say they employed you to do an inspection and you didnt notify them of any faults.

they could say same with a cert, but you could always get a signature [RECEIVED] and date stamp on your copy. :|
That was a step i was going to take in this instance.

Theorysparky... :x

I do Landlord PIRs (with many lims)...

I do the following:

Visual (Of course)

RCD test (If applicable)

Fuse-board/CU inspection (Note all circuit details etc)

Bonding check & verification

Functional testing

Random inspection of fittings (1 switch & 1 socket)

I don't do insulation tests unless it is a full PIR or the installation gives me cause for concern (rented accommodation)

:)

Theorysparky... :x I do Landlord PIRs (with many lims)...

I do the following:

Visual (Of course)

RCD test (If applicable)

Functional testing

I don't do insulation tests unless it is a full PIR or the installation gives me cause for concern (rented accommodation)

sounds like a <25%

which would be a good one for a quickie.

good visual and check a couple of switches and a couple of sockets, ELI only.

CKR outlet and SHWR,

trip times,

job done,

Steptoe, that also includes Zs on sockets and Ze..

B)

However if the installation gives me real cause for concern, I dig deeper..

; -)

Theorysparky... :x I do Landlord PIRs (with many lims)...

I do the following:

Visual (Of course)

RCD test (If applicable)

Functional testing

Hi Ext

I thought you did ,,,you have mentioned it on the otherside.

how long does that take you to do....normally with my Pat tests its about 1 hr

and i have been told im too expensive :^O :^O

I also do any remedials while i am there saves me going back to get access again which i think is the biggest pain :_|

Sorry to be pedantic here, but there is no 'COMMENTS ON EXISTING INSTALLATION' box on a PAT testing report ;) .
Erm, that all depends on the form you use surely?

Form Vb in the IEE code of practice clearly has a "COMMENTS/Other tests" box, box 21. Granted it does not say "Existing installation" But it is a comments box nonetheless.

When I did my course my Instructor said if you have to unplug an item from its usual location to test it, use box 21 for the socket (visual only) and write any concerns that do not fit into the box on a seperate sheet and cross reference it to the form Vb.

This is what I do and I understand that it may seem like overkill, but it is covering yourself.

Just my take on it like.

Nige.

My C&G 2377 is level 3 and was from 28-04-03 to 20-02-04.

I also did a diploma in electronic practice and theory at the same time, but the 2377 was quite intensive for some reason, as I know some places do 1 day courses?

Theory, how much do you charge for testing?

I ask because I have been told that I am too cheap by some clients.