Downlighters in Lathe and Plaster (Grrr)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its strange why Electricians are treated different to other trades. If you have a Bathroom fitted by Dolphin you have to pay the full price upfront and when the Bathroom is delivered you are then given a date as to when it is to be fitted. Yet we are expected to do the work without even a deposit. There is something wrong there.batty
If some of the reports I've heard of Dolphin bathrooms and their fitters are true, I wouldn't give them the deposit up-front!

Have a read of this!

I only ever ask for deposits from the sort of idiots unlikely to pay, like landlords X( . Perhaps you should have termed it as part payment for first fix or something - if you ever watch rogue traders taking deposits and running is common practice amongst thieves, hence joe public can be a bit wary of these things.
Sorry Binky but, i did explain it was less than half the material cost and i didnt want it until they had seen my first days work and were happy!!

It was precisely because the lady concened said she did not want to pay me a penny until completion that i walked.

I do not normally ask for a deposit if people are happy to agree my terms of contract,which is never normally a problem.

All printed out with company name, address,telephone No, scam providers logo, you dont get that with rogue traders.

On top of all this i have an honest face and approach to my clients:^O

Always go with your gut instinct its saved me being conned many a time:|

On top of all this i have an honest face and approach to my clients:^O

Always go with your gut instinct its saved me being conned many a time:|
I tend to follow the honesty approach - but people aren't used to it!!! I'm also 6ft 2" and good at looking like messing me around would be a bad idea ]:)

But you're right about gut instincts. :_|

I tend to follow the honesty approach - but people aren't used to it!!! I'm also 6ft 2" and good at looking like messing me around would be a bad idea ]:) But you're right about gut instincts. :_|
6ft 2" Would'nt like to meet you in a dark alleywayPray :^O :^O:^O

1. I refuse to fit in lathe as the bloody ceiling tends to fall to bits or is too deep to hold the fittings

2. I only fit fire rated now as the council in this area insist on these, especially in new builds. I even go as far as to buy fire hoods for IP rated fittings.

3. IF you really want the job as its a good payer i.e. more than just downers, and its a lathe ceiling I tell them I am going to cut our areas and fit plaster board and it WILL need skimming afterwards. Its the best way to fit them IMO. Messy as hell but you know they will fit. Still refuse to fit lights that are not fire rated however UNLESS they agree to hoods.

Lathe is simply not designed to hold downers IMO and its far less hassle to refuse the job on that basis than be left with an unfolding nightmare on your plate as the plaster starts falling off and the current ceiling is ruined beyond belief.

6`2"?

Are there people that short, then?

(try 6`7" - much more of a pain, especially to the head area!)

Grrrrrr

p.s. SSAB - glad you walked bud. I`d have done the same, in that situation.

Thanks KME thats kind, only trouble is i have to have school lessons from specs now as i havent been following nic best practice with my hall and landing lights!!BlushingBlushing.

Thinnk i neeeeed a drinkkkkkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Thanks KME thats kind, only trouble is i have to have school lessons from specs now as i havent been following nic best practice with my hall and landing lights!!BlushingBlushing.Thinnk i neeeeed a drinkkkkkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Eh SSAB.... hope you are not cribbing off KME's homework there bud?

or it will be detention... lines... AND those birch sticks you are still due! ]:) :^O :^O:^O:^O

Eh SSAB.... hope you are not cribbing off KME's homework there bud?or it will be detention... lines... AND those birch sticks you are still due! ]:) :^O :^O:^O:^O
No Spec i did not even look over his shoulder,promise;) ]:)

I must not cheat ,i must not cheat,i must not cheat. :^O

And so back to the classroom-I now have my upstairs circuit(landing light)

my ground floor circuit (hall light)

Two two gang two way switches

two three core+e providing two way switching between the two circuits

Now to my way of thinking, i will now have to isolate both mcb's to work on these switches.

This can't be right ? can it!.

Please only answer this if i dont have to do detention :p

Sorry admin i should of posted this in 17th post methinksBlushing