Fire Alarm System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamDey87

Reaction score
I need to know what is needed for me to start installing fire alarm systems.

Got a L2 system to install, straight forward job and i am compatant to do it but i want every thing in place so i can do it by the book.

Thanks in advanced

Hello and welcome :)

Suppose you'll need a screwdriver, hammer...............sorry.

Have you designed the system or has it been designed for you?

This is a big can of worms to open - not because installing it is hard but the consequences of something going wrong (badly designed alarm - people, children and pets burn to death) - you don't want to be culpable for that!

Hiay,

Screwdriver Check!

Hammer Check lol

I will be designing with the help from a qualified friend. It will be stand alone system (no out side dialer) the building will have a member of staff on 24/7. All i want to know is what do i need to do to get it passed off through the fire inspector. What gov bodie it needs to go through and what the best way to do it, if i get it myself or some body else.

Many thanks in advance

Hiay,Screwdriver Check!

Hammer Check lol

I will be designing with the help from a qualified friend. It will be stand alone system (no out side dialer) the building will have a member of staff on 24/7. All i want to know is what do i need to do to get it passed off through the fire inspector. What gov bodie it needs to go through and what the best way to do it, if i get it myself or some body else.

Many thanks in advance
I'm no expert but I believe that if the system is designed and comissioned by the manufacturer then it's all fine and above board for you to fit it.

:)

I need to know what is needed for me to start installing fire alarm systems.Got a L2 system to install, straight forward job and i am compatant to do it but i want every thing in place so i can do it by the book.

Thanks in advanced
how do you know your competent?

i usually avoid fire alarms or at most, get someone else to design and commission, and i install wiring

I'd go with Andy on this,,, In fact I am currently in the quotation stage for a job exactly like this..

It's far too complicated to get around the insurances, competences & all the legal guff if you are not looking to get into it properly..

You've got fire risk assesments, BS5836 parts 1 & 6, failure to operate insurance, professional indemnity insurance, professional body memberships.... and loads more

My mate who does this kind of thing for me says it costs him about

Adam as others have said be careful with this. To do it properly you will need to buy the BS document which cost quite a few pounds and read it through from cover to cover. I have done a couple of systems but have got a rep to design it. I then installed it and one of there engineers commisioned it. But I do not do much in the way of fire alarms. Welcome to the forum.

Batty

L2 system L stands for life so I take it it may be premises where people work and manned 24 hr.

sounders have to be above the level as required and recorded in every room with a db meter including cuboards that anyone could be in.

As stated before do not get involved in design as you become the liable person.Variatons to the system have to be recorded as you go along and at completion.

If it is residential home Zoning is critical also hearing impaired how are you to notify them if they are asleep just a sounder in the bedroom does not suffice.

Beware.

I'd go with Andy on this,,, In fact I am currently in the quotation stage for a job exactly like this..It's far too complicated to get around the insurances, competences & all the legal guff if you are not looking to get into it properly..

You've got fire risk assesments, BS5836 parts 1 & 6, failure to operate insurance, professional indemnity insurance, professional body memberships.... and loads more

My mate who does this kind of thing for me says it costs him about