garden lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Evening all.

just been to look at a job. guy wants lights in his drive and front garden. he is having a wall built around the drive as its dug into a bit of a bank. he wants them to work via pir. I thought of brick lights, are they any good? Do you put swa straight into them or ip rated box then rubber to light? Also the pir, it's gaining a tree so should I put an ip box round the back of the tree then rubber to the pir.

Any comments/tips/tricks most welcome

The last brick lights I put in were cfl type on raised flower beds: SWA inside the bed looped in & out of ug pratley box, then had flex enclosed in copex from pratley box to the brick light, you'll have to enlarge the entry hole in the brick light.

Upto you how you install the pir.

Make sure you get quality ones. I fitted one in a step granted a few years back. They had a problem with it tripping circuit out. Took it out and it had completely rotted out. Now this may have been down to builder that had not put any drainage holes in but it was knackered.

Thanks guys

now...hands up, I've never wired in a standalone pir....I want to get the quote right with cables etc. I doubt there is going to be an over ride switch so is it 3core swa to pir and 3core to lights? If he did want over ride I am assuming 3core (or twin&e if its running through house) to switch and 4core to pir?

Well, when you say '3 core swa' I assume you are using the 3rd core as your CPC? If so then (for an overide) you'll need 4 cores to pir and 3 core from pir to lights, assuming you are using the PIR as a JB. (Or use an adaptable box adjacent to the PIR with a bit of flex feeding/sw L returning to adaptable box).

The 4th conductor would then be your sw L, which you can use the PIR 'sw L out' as a terminal for if you like.

Thanks mark. guy is on holiday so will confirm if he wants override or not. and yes would use the 3rd core as cpc.

Will come back once I know how he wants to use it. he may want 2 pirs both switching the lights on. one by car and one by house.

Thanks again

Ok Mate, you'll need 4 cores between the two PIR's then. Then take a 3 core from either PIR to the lights. You only need 1.5mm csa armoured unless it's a string of floodlights. Feed either PIR first, which one doesn't matter.

Hope I'm not being too OTT with the 'how to wire it' bit?

I always like doing outside lights. Makes a change from working inside all the time. Except if it's P'ing down of course! :D

Thanks mark. will only be about 5 or so brick lights and maybe 2 lights up the path but not sure yet. All the lights will be low energy.

no not over the top with explanation at all. nice and simple is how I like it lol.

thanks again