Getting a static caravan it's own meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The out-laws have just purchased a new static caravan darn sarf (cornwall) as an upgrade from the tourer. The site has what seems to me to be a strange setup. I can only assume it is from the days when they owned all thevans and rented them out. Basicaaly the vans are metered in clusters of 3 and 5 mostly. The new van that they have bought is connected to a 3phase meter that supplies 5 vans. No idea who has the actaul contract with supplier as none of the other residents were there this week and the site owner says they now have nothing to do with electric supplies. We actaully know someone else on the site and they said they paid to have their own meter put in (it actaully still feed 2 vans but that is an agreement they made with another friend). Fom what I can tell, for each cluster there must be an account holder and they either shared the bill equally, or must have sub metering in the van but I can't see the latter being the case. Sahring the bill this way means you could be paying for someone elses juice if they are there all season and you only visit a few weeks per year, not really fair in my eyes.

They have asked me their options and I've said either a din rail mounted kWh meter to sub-meter (looks like there might be 1 spare way in enclosure) or contact supplier for a new connection / meter with possibility of DNO needing contacting too.

Has anyone had to deal with this at all?

Ta

simple enough, either stick your own meter in so you can justify your share of the bill, or ask WPD for an MPAN. Might be wrong about the last bit, you might have to get a leccy supplier to provide a meter as it already has a supply. I would phone WPD first though, you are more likley to get some sense from them. If you get no sense I have the contact details for several of their local engineering team. Which end of pasty land is the site?

To get your own MPAN you would need the DNO to install your own feed and then your electricity company to install the meter. At the moment part of the feed cable will be owned by the site owner. You will probably need the site owners permission to go digging the site up.

If you do manage it, go for a zero standing charge tariff such as the one offered by ebico so when you are not there and not using any electricity, the bill is £0