height of CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be upgrading my neighbour's CU (if the price I quote isn't too high!) ;) . I'm concerned that once I remove the current one, which is located very high up on the garage wall, that I won't have enough cable length on each circuit to bring it down to a level that conforms with current standards :eek: .

What's the best solution to resolve this issue?

Many thanks.

You don't need to Avin , can I call you Avin ? The accessible height thing is for new work. Lets face it, on some C/U changes the old cables won't reach the new neutral bar.

If its a requirement to fix it lower down, then three choices.

1. Rewire each outgoing feed. ( Personally, no) (Life is too short)

2. Install adaptable box with din rail connectors. ( Personally, yes)

3. A great bunch of J/Bs stuffed into the ceiling. ( Personally, no)

Deke

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. Forgive my ignorance, but could someone kindly explain what "din rail connectors" are?Blushing

EE - feel free to call me "Avin" or "Nat" ;)

R815789-91.jpg

only needs to comply with new heights for new builds or complete refurbishment. but whatever you do now, you cant make it more inaccessable
erm.....

nowt to do with Part M building regs IMHO..

what about COMPILING with BS7671?????

say for example Accessibility of equipment "old" 16th ed compliant..

130-07-01EVERY piece of equipment which requires operation or attention by a person shall be so installed that adequate safe means of access and working space are afforded for such operations or attention...
e.g. yellow book or... new money reg 132.12 Red book?

IMHO this means NO need to get stepladders out if light bulb trips switch..

don't want some old dear falling off the steps in the dark trying to reach a CU mounted at ceiling height?

;)

You don't need to Avin , can I call you Avin ? The accessible height thing is for new work. Lets face it, on some C/U changes the old cables won't reach the new neutral bar.If its a requirement to fix it lower down, then three choices.

1. Rewire each outgoing feed. ( Personally, no) (Life is too short)

2. Install adaptable box with din rail connectors. ( Personally, yes)

3. A great bunch of J/Bs stuffed into the ceiling. ( Personally, no)

Deke
Or just making your work comply with current... and old regs thou?

(see previous post)

bit like up-grading bonding that no longer complies.....

reposition if it don't comply IMHO! :| ;)

They are sort of 'choc blocs' on steroids! They are used in panel work as they can be marked up and a lot of other components are mountable on the din rail (timers, relays etc) they share.

They are sort of 'choc blocs' on steroids! They are used in panel work as they can be marked up and a lot of other components are mountable on the din rail (timers, relays etc) they share.
there terminal blocks inside a plastic cover. they come in single units and link together.
Is there an echo in this thread - andy you tryin to get 2000 post by the end of the month mate: :D .

Ok Ok I'm goin :coat

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me reviving this post.

Could anyone suggest any links or catalogues with examples of din rail connectors and enclosures suitable for extending the cables to a repositioned CU?

Doug

CPC sell DIN rail and connectors.

most IP rated consumer units have DIN rail fitted and can be used, just get some blank plates for the cover. or you could get some kind of enclosure and fix your own rail to it

Thanks for the suggestions. I just wondered if anyone could suggest examples that they have used themselves.

Unfortunately the CPC site is "currently unavailable whilst we perform a scheduled system upgrade". I've had a look through my Newey & Eyre catalogue and found a couple of examples, but they don't list their products on their website. I've also found some on the ABB Entrelec website, http://www.abb.com/product/us/9AAC100097.aspx?country=GB

Just thinking aloud here, would you ever connect the neutral or CPC wires together in groups the way they are in a CU? Or is it better to use the terminals for one wire in and one wire out. This way, each radial would have 3 terminals and each ring 6 terminal blocks. For extending all the circuits to a CU, this would make a long rail of terminals. I suppose it wouldn't matter for the CPCs, but probably best not to group the neutrals together.