Heights for disabled sockets ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The socket height of 450mm is not for use for wheelchair users.

That height is for people who when standing have trouble bending down to reach lower sockets, such as the elderly etc.

Often wheelchair users have less trouble reaching lower sockets than other people, as they are lower down to start with.

I would advise you ask the Council to provide a specification.

Perhaps they should ask the wheelchair user for their preference/

The socket height of 450mm is not for use for wheelchair users.That height is for people who when standing have trouble bending down to reach lower sockets, such as the elderly etc.

Often wheelchair users have less trouble reaching lower sockets than other people, as they are lower down to start with.

You are correct, the job I did we consulted the wheelchair user and did simple tests until we found the most appropiate places for everything, though she did prefer the light switches in the original heights simply because she had got used to them being there.

Its the user who ultimately has to use the equipment.

The socket height of 450mm is not for use for wheelchair users.That height is for people who when standing have trouble bending down to reach lower sockets, such as the elderly etc.

dont forget tho if in a wheelchair front (facing) on to sockets they will have to lean forward further to reach socket and could fall out. likewise if side on to sockets to be near enough to unplug/plug into socket wheel of wheelchair might be bit obstructive. stay within guide lines of part m and talk to wheelchair user if poss for comfortable heights within the regs.

I know from past posts that some of our forum members have personal experience of disability, it would be nice if those who have an interest post a topic that will improve the application of any regulation.

I invariably put everything in a position that the client requests, sod the building regs that say there is a standard, they do not use a wheelchair, or have any other disability other than poor math when working out their expenses.

GH,In the UK its MATHS, NOT MATH, MATH is a YANKEE term!!!

]:) :pray :_|
I use internet explorer and it does not allow me to speak english only american, sometimes with some navaho

I use internet explorer and it does not allow me to speak english only american, sometimes with some navaho
Like the magic roundabout saying GH, time for bed. :p

I was told one of the reasons for the new hights for the sockets were for flooding, a little bit of research was done by a group of people and they came to the conclusion that if a house etc was to flood it would be highly unlikely for it to reach the new hight of the sockets, therefor less damage to electrical equipment.

It will annoy me for a while now, as i cant remember who told me....... but it could be alot of rubbish at the end of the day

yea, it may well be, but when you think when the sockets were put on skirting boards and to what they are now, that would be a good enough reason for this (also it being a nighmare to get some plug tops into them).

Also when looking at the older hight, 300 and up and now the 450 and up..... thats a hell of alot of water......

anywayz i just thaught i would throw it in and see what people said..... im still figuring out who said it to me... lol

yea, it may well be, but when you think when the sockets were put on skirting boards and to what they are now, that would be a good enough reason for this (also it being a nighmare to get some plug tops into them).
there is one very simple solution to that: turn the socket upside-down