how can i turn this into down lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how can i turn this into down lights

was thinking if it comes off replace with 2 way and bring out twin?

or plastic plate and make a whole in it and again bring out twin?

any idear please,

thanks

conduit light.jpg

Is that a flush conduit box?

If so then its probably a Metal conduit wirig system with singles.

You will have to leave something at this position, ceiling rose or blank lid and pick up your wiring from there to feed your down lights.

its metal above the plaster board its only 1 way so could I bring cable out of a blank plate

single s

Cpc is just lose

The conduit is earthed

should i earth the conduit box or just carry on straight to the first light

If you have access from above (lift the floor boards) then see if you can turn the conduit box over. Then if you crimp, or use push fits to join on the new cable there is no need for it to remain accessible.

If you don't have access from above then it will be a pig of a job anyway to install downlights.

do i have to earth the conduit box or just continue the earth straight to light. The plaster board is down

The conduit should already be earthed at the supply end, you should have an earth wire coming off the conduit box that gives you your earth to take to your lights.

Metal conduit and singles is probably extremely old and I would be looking to test supply before making alterations. The last house i came across with this neede re-wiring, so proceed with caution

Metal conduit and singles is probably extremely old and I would be looking to test supply before making alterations. The last house i came across with this neede re-wiring, so proceed with caution
bit stange really, the wiring from the cu is twin, it changes to and from singles along the way. got 60 m ohms on ir, zs .80 on earth and .44 on conduite

Was just going to advise about concrete ceilings and the like before he started cuttng holes. But it is irrelevent now. ; -)
I don't want to hijack the thread but I would be grateful for that advice:)

Just to Clarify. Have you a seperately run cpc within the conduit or are you picking one up directly from the conduit box ?

bit stange really, the wiring from the cu is twin, it changes to and from singles along the way. got 60 m ohms on ir, zs .80 on earth and .44 on conduite
Would be most concerned about Insulation Resistance. The only places I've come across with conduit have always been 60s/70s MOD flats and the like, non of which seem to have been installed well initially. But just cos its old doesn't mean it isn't usable. Sounds like you've had a partial re-wire, which is also not unusual