I see the bills starting to gather momentum after Christmas !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the way your minds working Murdo   ...£143  squid .  

Cash flow is so important - to your business and the family finance!

We've recently replaced the misses car, the garage asked us if we wanted 6 months or 12 months tax , now 6 months was cheaper , but then the next time it would have been renewed would have been the same month / day as her car insurance - so 12 months it was

Cash flow is so important - to your business and the family finance!

We've recently replaced the misses car, the garage asked us if we wanted 6 months or 12 months tax , now 6 months was cheaper , but then the next time it would have been renewed would have been the same month / day as her car insurance - so 12 months it was
done that before. 6 month tax as a one off. then back to yearly. spreads them throughout the year rather all at one time

What happened to the Data  Protection Act  ?      Letter this morning from Kwik-Fit   who I don't use ..... announcing that my van MOT is due shortly  and would I like their "experts"  to do it , its so simple to book in   Blahdy blah !   

What happened to the Data  Protection Act  ?      Letter this morning from Kwik-Fit   who I don't use ..... announcing that my van MOT is due shortly  and would I like their "experts"  to do it , its so simple to book in   Blahdy blah !   

You'll get a bill off them soon... you have to pay to be registered to say that you store data

I got one from a differnt garage about a car I haven't owned for quite a few years, I'm sure I didn't opt into that, and deffo not since this GDPR thing came in.

Had one of those robot calls saying I'd had a car accident this afternoon, accused it of breaching GDPR, the responses were somewhat random, seems its not programmed to indentify that line of questioning, wonder if its any sort of proper AI at all, or just keyboard matching which goes down a selected path depending on which pre progammed keyword it hears. Next time I'm going to try and lead it down the positive "likely sales lead" with responses which are not affirmative, but are laced with likely sounding keywords. Or just go for outright sarcastic responses. Perhaps one day I'll get put on a do not call list, and I will have won :D

"Yes a table dropped onto my car when I was onto my way to a customer", "Could you please repeat that", "Yes certainly Drop table.................."

....Last I heard was the chap who pushed it was mentally ill and later got commited [/xkcd]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife has been off work Poorly for two weeks. Reckons she gets 5 calls a day from an automated TWONK claiming to be Amazon.  Interesting thing is it is spoofing the local dialling code now and coming up with random phone numbers that all look legit

bastardos

i got a load of them one day last week. all different area codes and some mobile numbers too

They target us almost constantly on the BT landline  .     We have the answer phone  on at all times  so they promptly ring off ......if people we know call they generally  announce themselves loudly .  

One problem is the missus has three visits from District Nurses each week ,   they have a busy schedule and sometimes phone to re-arrange which means on "Nurse"days  we tend to pick up .  

This is usually greeted with Asian people  with  "Christian" names  who open up with   ..." Hello Mr Eeevens   I am from BT  /  Amazon / Microsoft  / your bank /   etc . 

Or its an American robot  that says your card has been used in another country  ring us now .....DING!!!  

So your card had been nicked then Andy  ?

still in my wallet, but someone was on a shoping spree at Next with it...

happened a few times now. to be fair to barclays, they are very good at spotting fraud and send you a text message asking for confirmation of suspiscious / unusual activity. reply that its not yours and they immediately block the card then call you

still in my wallet, but someone was on a shoping spree at Next with it...

happened a few times now. to be fair to barclays, they are very good at spotting fraud and send you a text message asking for confirmation of suspiscious / unusual activity. reply that its not yours and they immediately block the card then call you
Are they as good with fraudulent activity on direct debits? 

Are they as good with fraudulent activity on direct debits? 

it is a debit card

get the odd text message asking me to confirm something. usually its genuine (just a new place ive used the card, just reply yes it was me and thats end of it), but if you reply no then card gets blocked. happened 3 times now. each time they have contacted me for confirmation then dealt with it. whatever has been taken has always been refunded once i confirm a list of recent transactions of what is mine and whats fraud

Oh I have little problem with card, but DD that was really something else. 
Cancel a policy, well more informed them I wasn’t renewing, forgot about cancelling the DD, but didn’t expect anything to come of it. Boy was I wrong, a week after renewal date a DD payment is taken for £10k+, after some digging I am informed it was a glitch in the system! Yes of course it was, so changed how I bank now, minimal left in current account remainder in another account with no easy access unless I transfer it, eventually got the money returned but by god was it a fight.