installing Dimplex storage heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martink

Reaction score
Hi - I am new to this site. I have a 3 bedroom flat with some old storage heaters

I want to install new Dimplex - storage and night economy seven

I cannot get any sensible informationfrom anyone - re type of Dimplex heater to buy and fit.

I am in North London

Any electricians out there want to take the job on??

advising and installing.

thanks

martin

Hi Martin, I believe its fairly straightforward to remove the old ones (although extremelly heavy) and install new dimplex storage heaters. I take it you already have the economy 7 tarrif and dual rate meters fitted. A bit far for me (North wales) but I'm sure a more local electrician will be along soon.

Welcome to the forum.

James

What floor are you on and how old are the old storage heaters. Surely you will be replacing like for like and already have economy 7 and welcome to the forum.

pretty much match whats already there, unless one of them is too small or too big. no major problem with fitting smaller, but may need new wiring if you fit larger

Thanks all of you - re installing Dimplex storage heaters

Yes - I agree like for like - but I need to find someone who can do it - in the London area

and give me decent advice

Dimplex don't seem to be able to help

The electrician I know just says if I get them he'll fit - but he doesn't seem to know much about heating

Any help - (sorry to be a pain)

Martin

Can you pin your location down a little more precisely than just 'North London'?

Why are you replacing? Old and scabby looking or faulty?

Were you happy with the function of the ones you have so would be happy with a like for like replacement (though new ones would be automatic).

Or, as Steps suggests, do you want the DuoHeat type (with a "fan heater" built in for boost purposes).

Fitting new storage heaters is easy.

Carrying the bricks up 5 flights of stairs if you are on the top floor is less inviting. Details of your location might help?

Any decent sparks with a trade account should be able to order them for you. You were unlucky and chose a duff sparky. try a different one. He should be able to order them and have them delivered straight to your house.

A bigger problem is disposing of the old ones. If the sparky takes them away to the tip he will be charged to dispose of them so you will have to pay his time, and the disposal charge. If you take them, you can dump them for free. Do you have your own car? would you be prepared to take the old ones and dispose of them? (they would be dismantled and the bricks removed)

Another issue if the old ones are really ancient is asbestos inside them. Particularly if they are the ones that are so old they are quite thick and free standing (unlike the slim ones that are screwed to the wall)

+1 to why are you replacing them. If it's because of poor performance, you might want to question is storage heating the best for your house?

Round this way Dave he can just leave the storage heaters on the pavement outside and pikies will have done a disappearing trick within the hour lol :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:00 ----------

Admin is there any chance we can have the location back on the post stat thing ? :)

As said and asked more information is needed. I worked in central London last year and personally didn't enjoy it as the building had six floors and carrying tools up this doesn't do your back any good. There was no parking on the job so travel most of the time was train and tube. Fitting a storage heater is basically drilling four holes and connecting a flex, biggest work is getting rid of old heater especially if they have asbestos in them and carrying new bricks and fitting them. Unless you give imformation about flat ie what floor, is there a lift, is there parking i don't think you will get to many volenteers.

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a new first floor flat in west London with storage heaters as buy to let. Bedrrom storage heater not working so needs urgent repair or replacing asap. Tenants moving in 4 Feb 2012. Can anyone recommend a tradesman to me please as my usual builder is not familiar with these heaters and unwilling to do the job? Have joined this forum especially to ask for your advice as not easy to find people online who say they can do this work.

Thanks a lot for any pointers please!! Contact on [email protected].

Lorraine

hello martin

give us a ring on *7794 427 *36 would be interested in fitting storage heaters for u live in barnet