Kitchen fitters not happy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Just had a customer ring up as the kitchen fitter wanted to speak to me about the electrics.

He said

"I can't install the oven & hob on the same circuit & I've called my usual sparks who agrees, they need to be on seperate circuits & switches.

And the earth isnt connected to the water pipe in the kitchen, you've left it hanging loose".

"the earth is connected to the water pipe at the nearest copper pipe work available which is next to (3mtrs from) the cu, done this way as the mains water is pvc and opposite side of the property. was noted as deveation on cert when cu was changed 2 years ago by me. The bit of green sleeved earth you see in the kitchen is an old supplimentary bond that was connected between a socket & the old sink.

As for the cooker & hob I have to say your mate is wrong, so long as the circuit design complies in all aspects with regard to load, where is the problem?"

"The oven isnt rated for 32 amp it's only 13amp, We have to install a 16amp radial & connect to that"

"So wheres the difference between connecting to a 16amp radial via a fcu or socket or to a 32amp 6mm radial via a fcu or socket?"

"well I'm not happy doing that we dont normaly connect to a socket or fused spur"

"so you connect a 13amp appliance directly to a 16amp circuit?"

(ok I know the cable & appliance will be capable of carrying 16amp, just started getting miffed at the blokes "my mate say's" line)

"Yes like it should be, on it's own radial 16amp circuit"

So to pacify the bloke I said I'd call back in a few mins after redoing the calcs for the circuit & making a quick call to Bosch.

The teckies at Bosch said the model of oven is max 2.2Kw (9.5amp) & it is upto the installer to make connection to a circuit by any means that is suitable & complies with regulations (words to that effect). The hob is 7Kw full load.

Called the fitter back & his responce.... "My mate say's he wouldn't be happy with that set up, so I'm not to happy about connecting the oven up"

"Fine leave it & I will drop in tonight on my way home & connect it"

So thats where we are....I'm doing some free customer relations tonight, after the fitter has done a "thats not how it's done" job to the customer. Customer also told me the fitter wanted my details before he'd undertake connection of any electrical items in the kitchen ...hood/pelmet lights/dishwasher....

expect a search has been done to see if I'm pee'd.

Any way that turned into a long winded post so.....what I were wanting to ask was....How many do put seperate circuits in for both hobs & ovens even if the the total load isnt so high as to dictate the need for seperate circuits?

Have to add in the above job the hob is directly above the oven, so again why waste time effort & materials to put in two points of isolation.

If the manufacturer doesn't want them on seperate circuits then why would we? As long as all the accessories can handle the max current flowing though/across them then where is the problem.

I think you were quite restrained tbh. I would have probably layed into the kitchen fitter. If he doens't have the technical knowledge or the skills, who the **** does he think he is questioning you?

i have come across 2.2kw ovens that say max 20 amp fuse in the book, not sure why to be honest but i just spur off the cooker circuit in 2.5 to an fcu or socket,

i would not put a sep circuit in

green building regs book

'a cct of rating exceeding 15A but not exceeding 50A may supply 2 or more cooking appliances where these are installed in the same room.'

cooker switch controlling both items to be within 2metres of both appliances

case closed

i bet his sparky is defined scope

i bet his sparky is defined scope
I wouldn't be supprised if his sparks didn't exist and its what he heard down the kitchen unit wholesalers.

The problem is to the customer you now look bad..

I would ask him to get his 'spark' to give some regs to back up what he is saying (he wont find any)

He probably thinks in his mind that it is good practice to do....

Just because it may be good to someone other PPL don't and won't agree same as a PIR.

It is good practice to wear a adult diaper when someone commits suicide but do PPL do it... no;)

He is probably just miffed because he did not get the job!!!!!

i have been in several properties that have a single socket spurred off the cooker outlet(elephants nose) for the purpose of plugging in ovens/hobs.

I`d not have an issue with it, either mate - as said though, it can get the customer concerned about your capabilities......

Go find the kitchen fitter, and bash bill him for your time to connect the appliances.

wouldn't trust kitchen fitter to connect anything anyway, and never known an oven you can't put on a 32A circuit. I have done what you did many times, and will carry on doing it for years to come.

I always fit a duel purpose box with a 13a socket & a cooker outlet fed from a 45A switch above the worktop

OSG page 160, section 8.4

I suggest you go back to the clients with your OSG and show him this section. Also arm the client with the tech help line numbers for NIC, ELECSA and NAPIT and invite him to call any of them and they will back you up.

Tell the client that you bear him no ill feeling over the matter but that you intend to bill the fitter 2 or 3 hours for fitting the appliances.

Send your bill to the fitter with a photcopy of the OSG section and a letter explaining that his "electrician" was completely wrong. Invite him to call any of the tech lines at his lesuire. Ask him to settle in 7 days.

It is vital to make sure the client understands you were quite right as they were already a client of yours and you would like to keep it that way (you could point this out to the fitter - that he has potentially scuppered your relationship with a good client).

green building regs book'a cct of rating exceeding 15A but not exceeding 50A may supply 2 or more cooking appliances where these are installed in the same room.'

cooker switch controlling both items to be within 2metres of both appliances

here here :put the kettle on

Well I have called in to the customer & she assures me she didnt in any way doubt my capabilities & professionalisim:Blushing

The kitchen fitter on the otherhand...not to many good words did she have for him.... All the bloke did was slate my work......wrong coloured cables been used we now use grey sheathed cable bet this is black/red inside the old colours....shows what he doesnt know..yes I'd used some LSF with white sheath. The cooker circuit kept him moaning

The customer said all he kept on about was "my mate who is my usual sparks say's"bad day explode

Anyway I called round & gave her all the certs invoice & a letter with all my cable calculations & quotes from BRB OSG & green building regs guide.

She invited me in to take a look at what the bloke has done so far:

The 2x sockets (I extended rf) I'd mounted below worktop height for appliances to be plugged into, he has now re-extended with the view to leaving them laid on the floor under the cupboards or fitting them inside cupboards going by the long lengths of cables.

He has left both these extensions wedged behind the draw unit & under sink, terminated into 15amp chock block with a strip of gaffa tape covering the screw top terminals.......

I wonder will any testing take place? (told her to keep my certs hidden so results cant be copied) & will any certs or notification be undertaken?

The kitchen company are a well know company in Wiltshire Hampshire Berkshire & Surrey areas.

Latest posts