Local Electrician offering FREE Visual reports!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

X( X(

How can they do this, i know they will get into the property and give a report that something is dangerous and probably get work and it gets there name around

But offering FREE reports grrrrr

If he did this all week hes going to be in **** lol

Stupid Electrician offering Free Reports.... See heere X(

This was on another local forum that i go on (waits for the forum police to tell me off for using another forum!)

What are peoples views on this?

Interesting idea, you go round the house, scan the property and tell them it needs work. 90% of all houses will require some means of work doing. By a report I am assuming it will just be a typed up report listing the potential dangers in the house, not a PIR. You couldn't do a PIR visually.

We all do this sort of thing in one way or another, somebody calls you about a job, you go round and find more work needs doing than the customer first assumed and you quote for the work.

The difference with this company is they are making the "report" sound official, when really, all it is, is a quote for work that really needs to be carried out to bring the house up to current standards.

They have a well presented website, so will probably do well from it. Consumers are easily sold through well presented websites.

A "well respected" regional installation company located in the South of England with strong links to the regional supply authority used to offer a "free electrical check" (& may still do...). On more than a couple of occasions I visited (usually elderly) customers who had had one of these checks carried out. From what I could gather no actual Inspecting or Testing (in the BS7671 part 6 sense) was carried out, they looked at the consumer unit & if it had BS3036 fuses & no RCD recommended a rewire, which they were happy to quote for...

A "well respected" regional installation company located in the South of England with strong links to the regional supply authority used to offer a "free electrical check" (& may still do...). On more than a couple of occasions I visited (usually elderly) customers who had had one of these checks carried out. From what I could gather no actual Inspecting or Testing (in the BS7671 part 6 sense) was carried out, they looked at the consumer unit & if it had BS3036 fuses & no RCD recommended a rewire, which they were happy to quote for...
I think many of the regional supply companies still offer free visual inspection.

Doc H.

Well presented website..... but I think I would have looked for a neater consumer unit to take a pic of lol :D

I can't see it being a bad thing? Anything that's going to improve the safety in someones house can only be a good thing. Quoting for work that doesn't need doing is another matter.

Totaly understand it can drum up work, but personally i really do think that they will be picking the slightest thing, and making a large job from it.

As above, look at the CU and its an old rewireable, they say rewire.

Although a couple of people i know had these "free reports" and the smallest things were brought up. including "socket not level"

Like everything it is open to abuse by some, a free anything should always be treated with caution.

I have seen cases where especially the elderly have been frightened by some of these reports, and then because of this gone on to have work done by those who initially frightened them in the first place.

It goes without saying that a visual inspection would not under any circumstances result in a rewire being ordered. The installation could still be perfectly safe and would only show up any faults on a proper inspection with testing.

I was offered a FREE Visual inspect (by Post) by SSE.

Might be clever business? So long as every house doesn't require a re-wire then it gets your foot through the door.

Everyone does this sort of thing. Our local garage offer a 'free winter health check' etc.

Had a look at the pictures of the entertainment system job, shouldn't there be a air vent in the wall as its covered the fireplace. Also is it possible the DVD player and all the other stuff could overheat in those holes, don't know. I like the photo of the builders bum. ( I'm into chicks)

Tim, I picked up on exactly the same thing as you. I did a similar conversion in my house, full cinema system and all the kit built into the old chimney. I removed the old flue liner, blocked the chimney on the roof but left the chimney open to allow hot air from the kit to dissipate up the old chimney. If you block an old chimney up you end up with condensation forming if you don't vent it. I'm no expert on these things, I just followed the advice of a heating engineer, and I have not had any condensation problems.

I was a bit worried at first incase the chimney did leak and all my cinema system got washed! ROTFWL

The website looks good & if they have the time to undertake the visuals for free & they dont use scare mongering tactics & it drums up work for them ...fair play I suppose.

Might be clever business? So long as every house doesn't require a re-wire then it gets your foot through the door.Everyone does this sort of thing. Our local garage offer a 'free winter health check' etc.
I don't, I have more than enough work without advertising.

Batty

True but some people don't. I'm just starting out, and for me this sounds like a good idea to get my name about. Whats an hour here or there if it gets you a bit of work out of it, its all good. While your there people would probably come up with the old 'well while your here could you look at/quote me for'

Its something I'm considering doing.

The website looks good & if they have the time to undertake the visuals for free & they dont use scare mongering tactics & it drums up work for them ...fair play I suppose.
Two things jump out at me (and the only place I`ve been so far is the front page, and the T&C page.)

One: they specify that they will notify you of any non-compliances to CURRENT regs. That`ll be every house that hasn`t been worked on in the last 18 months then.

Two: If you actually READ the T&C; although I didn`t spot any spelling mistakes, the grammar & syntax are appalling.

I admit that it is likely to give them a very good level of work; but the ethics of the way they`re getting that work? Questionable at best.

The regs clearly state that, just because an installation doesn`t comply to 17th, is no reason for works to be carried out. As has been said, many, primarily older customers are going to pay good money (I neither know nor care what they`ll charge) for work which is unnecessary.

X(X( X( :(

Sadly, it`s a sign of the times that many others will think it`s a great idea. I could use more work, but I wouldn`t stoop to this level.

Maybe I`m short-selling `em - they might be as honest as they come. I won`t hold my breath though - I`d probably turn blue!!!!!

Dont get me wrong KME it's my cup of tea offering a freebie visual inspection to get more work.

Yes we all know that 90% of properties would end up with a list as long as your arm with deviations to the current regs.....but I say again if they are straight up & not making up any problems with the view of ripping customers off, well fair play to em for the idea to gain a headstart against the competition.

Latest posts