Memera 2000 Consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manufactures specifications are available for all MCB's, RCD's and RCBO's etc if a unit installed in a consumer unit meets the specifications of the manufacturer of the CU but is from a different manufacturer, how can they argue that its incompatible? In any investigation the question would be "was the item of comparable quality" this would be ascertained by comparing the specifications.

Last edited:
Wow, Thank you for all your thoughts/suggestions on this Mix and Match subject. I still think that if someone on the tools can resolve issues and make a judgement call on what is safe to use, regardless of OEM parts, then they should be allowed. I sign off my work, with a deviation where necessary.
If specs of one mcb/rcbo to another are so different then why are they manufactured to the same BS EN xxxxx number?
Only one regret...I had to use a different melted main switch on a Hager CSU (spare schnieder) , no local spares available. The family were sitting in the dark. When the power was back on it looked terrible but it fitted okay, just spoiled the Hager look.....The family were happy though.:)

Wow, Thank you for all your thoughts/suggestions on this Mix and Match subject. I still think that if someone on the tools can resolve issues and make a judgement call on what is safe to use, regardless of OEM parts, then they should be allowed. I sign off my work, with a deviation where necessary.
If specs of one mcb/rcbo to another are so different then why are they manufactured to the same BS EN xxxxx number?
Only one regret...I had to use a different melted main switch on a Hager CSU (spare schnieder) , no local spares available. The family were sitting in the dark. When the power was back on it looked terrible but it fitted okay, just spoiled the Hager look.....The family were happy though.:)
What are you basing your safe to use on, it fits it's fine?
Your choice of course let's hope not your funeral.

Wow. Wow. Wow

What are you basing your safe to use on, it fits it's fine?
Your choice of course let's hope not your funeral.
Safe to use based on fit , rating, manufactured to BS EN 60947 3 & not purchasing it from the toy section in B&M.
I'm now curious........
You don't sound like you are on the tools, perhaps you work on procedures or assessing ? & thats okay........
I would love to see your procedure for purchasing a 13a plug.... "What are you basing your safe to use on, it fits it's fine?" !!!

Safe to use based on fit , rating, manufactured to BS EN 60947 3 & not purchasing it from the toy section in B&M.
I'm now curious........
You don't sound like you are on the tools, perhaps you work on procedures or assessing ? & thats okay........
I would love to see your procedure for purchasing a 13a plug.... "What are you basing your safe to use on, it fits it's fine?" !!!
What I do or don't do isn't relevant but one thing I do know is you appear to lack technical ability and judgement but as I say your choice maybe it is just ignorance on your part.

As a temporary get them back on that's ok, but I would hope you went back and changed it.

Regs don't allow mix and match, and if your stood in front of the guy with the funny wig on that's what he is going to use as his starting point.

Just because others do it doesn't mean it's right.

Regs don't allow mix and match, and if your stood in front of the guy with the funny wig on that's what he is going to use as his starting point.
Where in the Blue Book does it say that?

Where in the Blue Book does it say that?
Even if the regs don't say that, the manufacturers will, and somewhere in the book I'm fairly sure there's a comment about compliance with manufacturers instructions overriding the regs. An example of that was fitting RCDs to shower circuits.

Even if the regs don't say that, the manufacturers will, and somewhere in the book I'm fairly sure there's a comment about compliance with manufacturers instructions overriding the regs. An example of that was fitting RCDs to shower circuits.

and the manufacturers are purely protecting their profits

indeed, but they are also complying with CE legislation.

Mind you there are so many people ignoring this reg ...............

Came across a "new" replacement recently - a reall dolly mixture!

Metal enclosure
RCD
2 x MCB's
2 x MCB's

each line was a different make!

Manufactures specifications are available for all MCB's, RCD's and RCBO's etc if a unit installed in a consumer unit meets the specifications of the manufacturer of the CU but is from a different manufacturer, how can they argue that its incompatible? In any investigation the question would be "was the item of comparable quality" this would be ascertained by comparing the specifications.
I have read this several times but have no idea what you are striving to clarify. I am not sure if you have access to BS7671 Regulation 536.4.203 maybe not and your naive post suggests you lack engineering judgement.

No need to get personal Fleeting, but BS7671 is not a Regulatory document.

Last edited:
No such Regulation in the Blue Book.
134 134.1 134.1.1 134.1.2
ERECTION AND INITIAL VERIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS Erection
Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be
used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers' instructions.
The characteristics of the electrical equipment, as determined in accordance with Section 133, shall

You're welcome

134 134.1 134.1.1 134.1.2
ERECTION AND INITIAL VERIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS Erection
Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be
used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers' instructions.
The characteristics of the electrical equipment, as determined in accordance with Section 133, shall

You're welcome
Shall take into account means, “to take into consideration or to allow for a particular matter in the actual decision” (not written in BS7671)
I have always thought BS7671 was written part by persons with a law degree & persons with technical ability etc etc.
As such, a lot of play with words.... like life..... some grey areas................
...........SHALL is not MUST I'm afraid.

Just to throw a curved ball into the mix....

If a non-manufactures component may not work correctly....
Presumably due to the correct manufactures adjacent components... (e.g ref 536.4.203 pg183 new brown book),

Could a non-manufactures component also prevent an adjacent correct manufactures component from working correctly?

We are presumably looking at electromagnetic or heat dissipation problems...?

As it is unlikely the physical terminations will be a problem, because various cable types can all be securely and safely terminated into a mixture of manufactures termination devices..

SO..............

What happens if you are asked to amend a circuit supplied from a CU that already has a correct manufactures MCB/RCD/RCBO fitted...
but an adjacent circuit you are NOT working on is a non-manufactures device?

Do you insist on having all the protective devices in the CU amended, even those you have not being asked to work on? :censored:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.