Memera 2000 Consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Blue Book page 22 has Guidance 6, Regulation 7 and Guidance 7 no mention of 134.1.1, I must have an out of date copy.

Just to throw a curved ball into the mix....

If a non-manufactures component may not work correctly....
Presumably due to the correct manufactures adjacent components... (e.g ref 536.4.203 pg183 new brown book),

Could a non-manufactures component also prevent an adjacent correct manufactures component from working correctly?

We are presumably looking at electromagnetic or heat dissipation problems...?

As it is unlikely the physical terminations will be a problem, because various cable types can all be securely and safely terminated into a mixture of manufactures termination devices..

SO..............

What happens if you are asked to amend a circuit supplied from a CU that already has a correct manufactures MCB/RCD/RCBO fitted...
but an adjacent circuit you are NOT working on is a non-manufactures device?

Do you insist on having all the protective devices in the CU amended, even those you have not being asked to work on? :censored:

Do as asked originally and maybe comment on the 3rd pay device on the invoice / certificate.

I understand where every ones confusion is, all are quoting the BSI which is not a statutory regulating body, therefore not Regulations, but the minimum standard to be achieved, I am and have quoted the Regulation Blue Book.

I understand where every ones confusion is, all are quoting the BSI which is not a statutory regulating body, therefore not Regulations, but the minimum standard to be achieved, I am and have quoted the Regulation Blue Book.
What is the Blue regulation book? Obvs not BS7671?

Changing subject slightly, if you find mix and match MCBs whilst completing an EICR, would you give it a code, or just make a note of it?

Changing subject slightly, if you find mix and match MCBs whilst completing an EICR, would you give it a code, or just make a note of it?
Code it without a doubt. Been Coding this for years long before it cropped up in BS7671.

I understand where every ones confusion is, all are quoting the BSI which is not a statutory regulating body, therefore not Regulations, but the minimum standard to be achieved, I am and have quoted the Regulation Blue Book
No but as I said the person with the funny wig, wooden hammer will use BS7671 as the reference document when deciding if you did your job right or not.

We all know it's not a statutory document, but it's what we all work to. Yes it's a minimum standard but I'm a belt and braces person and prefer to go above minimum standards as I'm sure the vast majority of electricians on here are.

I would FI it, and have in the past.
I don't have the documentation for the CU so I don't know if the manufacturer says it's ok or not.
Oh, FYI , I have mixed and matched previously as a "get out of jail" until a proper fix can be made.

I would FI it, and have in the past.
I don't have the documentation for the CU so I don't know if the manufacturer says it's ok or not.
Oh, FYI , I have mixed and matched previously as a "get out of jail" until a proper fix can be made.

Giving it an FI means automatic unsatisfactory though

No but as I said the person with the funny wig, wooden hammer will use BS7671 as the reference document when deciding if you did your job right or not.
A judge will use the statutory document as issued by the Secretary of State and not a guidance document that is the minimum standard, he may ask how the defendant ensured they achieved that minimum standard or exceeded it, then reference to the manufactures specifications and if the units installed complied with that specification.

Last edited:
Apart from EAWR the only other statutory document I would think is the MIs , which they must issue to comply with some manufacturing law I would suspect, so therefore they would be a statutory document, and they override any other documents.

But all our training is based on 7671. I have always thought it a little odd that it wasn't a statutory document.

Am I missing something here or have I been doing it wrong all these years ? Or is this just an argument going round in circles because it can ?

Status
Not open for further replies.