Off peak board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm quoting on a board change which is an 8 way rewirable and a 4 way rewirable for off peak storage heaters. It's a ground floor flat all bonding in place, electric cooker, 2 rings, lighting, 3 15a radials. Old lady loving on own. Light bulb blows and takes out 5a rewirable and it's aggravation for her to change. I did say she could use a plug in mcb for the lighting circuit as she quite old but she wants new fuseboard. I've never done off peak before. Can I have an rcd mainswitch and 4 16a mcbs?

Thanks

Matt

Matty,

Its the same as any other CU TBH, you have to think about how a fault on one circuit could affect the others. So if you had a fault on one circuit would it matter that the house has no heating,,, or are there radiant heaters on the 24hr circuits?

One other thing,, if your Zs allows use a B10 or a C6 MCB to help reduce tripping in the event of lamp failure

I wouldn't. the off peak board will probably feed some heaters and an immersion. So one fault and not only is there no heating for 24hrs, but no hot water either.

Edmundsons have got prototype Wylex dual tarriff boards in (12 ways total).

Matty i personally would have main switch and RCBO's in heating board. You can get a fair bit of leakage on storage heaters which may trip the RCD.

Well, for a contrary view, I just fit a single RCD board for off peak, with the RCD acting as the main switch.

I figure a heating fault that trips all the heating is less of an issue than tripping the whole house when a light bulb blows.

To clarify who is right, has anyone seen any official guidance about off peak boards?

No hot water if the off peak trips is usually not a biggie, as there's usually a peak rate daytime boost heater.

However a main switch and rcbo solution is a good one, particularly if you were to use one of the very cheap Pro-Elec boards from CPC as their rcbo's are very cheap.

I Agree with prodave i have in my house six heaters on off peak board,with RCD main switch never had a single problem in 10yrs.If cost is not a prob rcbo for individual control,but cost allways a factor.

This tripping problem when a lamp blows can be a nightmare for elderly or disabled people , in the past I've gone for a Hager board , then you can use their MCB, dinrail style unit with a 6 or 10A HRC fuse in it . MCBs for the rest. Obviously its a dual RCD board .

A consumer unit up at high level by the ceiling is impossible for elderly and disabled people.

I go for Dekes route of a type C for lights

I see nothing wrong with a front end RCD for heating on an off peak board either, not the end of the world.

Not a type C Steps , a HRC Fuse instead, in an MCB type, looking device, made by Hager .

And I'd do the heating board the same as you , Main switch RCD . If a heater went cranky you can just switch it off .

Not a type C Steps , a HRC Fuse instead, in an MCB type, looking device, made by Hager . And I'd do the heating board the same as you , Main switch RCD . If a heater went cranky you can just switch it off .
Agreed, you or I could, but when your Granny wakes up to a stone cold house and DHW when it's -5 out, exactly how is she supposed to know which heater tripped that RCD (if she even knows what an RCD is, that is)????? And what is she supposed to do to keep warm for the minimum 24hrs before the heaters are warm again?

Old folks die in cold houses every year. For that reason I always recommend RCBOs and explain why. Only if the client is adamant will I fit a RCD/MCB combo. And note it on the cert.

Latest posts