Pulling Service Head Fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner

Reaction score
I want to change my cu I am happy with the testing of circuits and checking all the bonding. But I'm not sure about the service head fuse. 

By rights I know you should get the supplier to break the seal and then replace it. But I suspect they wouldn't come back on the same day. 

So do I cut the seal and pull the fuse. And carry on or do I have to mess around with the supplier. And try to live we no electric ( very hard to do this in this heat )

fit a REC2 isolator, or ask them to come and fit one for you,

if you are doing it yourself they will/should pull fuse, connect your tails, then reseal, 15mins, jobs a good un

Pay the DNO to come and fit an isolator switch in line between the meter and the CU.

Then only proceed if you are truly competent. Not many DIYers have the knowledge or equipment to test things properly when doing a CU change.

Afraid you won't get a isolator fitted by ukpn! 

Pay the DNO to come and fit an isolator switch in line between the meter and the CU.

Then only proceed if you are truly competent. Not many DIYers have the knowledge or equipment to test things properly when doing a CU change.
This...

plus

I asked them (eon/dno) to do this a while back, they supplied a proteus isolator and the guy very kindly knackered the Allen bolts on the cu side so maybe try supplying a decent isolator for them to use  :)

+1 blue duck had an isolator fitted a few weeks ago while I was there, he walked out I went about my business and found the hex screw was threaded, but there was no charge for iso, that was in warrington. Not going to say the supplier but the same supplier charged a customer of my 40 quid in levenshulme, 30 miles away, how do they get away with it.

Afraid you won't get a isolator fitted by ukpn! 
+1

UKPN in my experience will only do a connect/disconnect if you supply and fit the isolator and it takes a couple of weeks. They say they'll charge circa £40 but round here but then don't seem to. BG however seem to up for fitting them within a couple of days even though they're the leccy supplier and not the DNO, cost's about the same including supply of a Wylex REC. If BG fit new meters round here they automatically fit a Wylex REC anyway at no cost.

Lots or variations between regions methinks!

Saying that I had a subbie for UKPN come out and change a head fuse. Two youngsters did it and when they left didn't bother putting seals on.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as ukpn care after the head is not their problem, isolators is someone else's problem they don't want them, maintaining earth connections they will do new earth connections are down to the meter operator. When head and meter moves are done together ukpn move the head and leave paperwork for meter operator saying if its suitable for tncs, meter operator then does connection. 

How have you been going about getting BG to fit isolators? 

Contacted DNO to ask if supply to property which is being totally gutted and refurbished could take additional load of 2 Heat Pumps combined 12kW, they have already ordered Electric Aga and will have all other appliances.

Property in small village in the middle of nowhere.

DNO called back and said can you pull the head fuse and if it's 63A or 80A we will send someone out to change it to 100A.

I mentioned I was thinking more like supply upgrade to 3 Phase,  :innocent   :innocent

As far as ukpn care after the head is not their problem, isolators is someone else's problem they don't want them, maintaining earth connections they will do new earth connections are down to the meter operator. When head and meter moves are done together ukpn move the head and leave paperwork for meter operator saying if its suitable for tncs, meter operator then does connection. 

How have you been going about getting BG to fit isolators? 
Not saying that Amelie and I aren't aquainted but I decided a while back to go through the process fitting an REC the "proper" way - more out of curiosity than anything:

I Rang EDF who I swear to God DIDN'T recognise the term REC.  They directed me onto UKPN...........who said "They always do this, you need to talk to EDF and arrange with them!" Rang back EDF (different person) who agreed to do a disconnect/reconnect, I think it was a two week wait on the basis I supply and fit the REC isolator and had my "INCERT" ready for inspection on the day. In the event it was a UKPN van came out. The bloke, in his 50's at a guess said "Here to move/change a meter mate!" Seems it's pot luck what happens. I'd NEVER even mentioned the meter to EDF. So I said no, showed him what was what and he said "Most people would have done it themselves!".

I had the new REC in ready and long tails for him to just connect into the meter which he did and a coffee and bicuits later he changed the original 16mm tails from head to meter too. No mention of seeing the "INCERT" (a mythical certificate invented by EDF - they even spelt it for me so I could ask "my electrician". When I asked did they want a Minor Works or Electrical Installation Cert they went running for a supervisor). Anyway this guy and had a chinwag about Sweet n Sour Power, the price of scrap etc and he went on his way. Not before he (UKPN) took a call from EDF to then pass the phone to me where I was asked about my "customer experience". I said the bloke was a top fella but came with the wrong info etc. They quoted I think 40 quid to do it to be added to the bill but to my knowledge it never was!

Then we have British Gas.............."Hello, I'm about to fit a new cu and want an REC fitted!"......................."No problem Sir, as long as BG supply (the leccy) to the house. Sorry we can't fit you in today WILL tommorrow be alright? That'll be forty (ish) quid and INCLUDES suppy of the REC!" Bear in mind BG are the supplier and not the DNO. Totally different attitude in my experience. In fact I'm looking at one job and I rang upon behalf of the elderly owners. Dropped in that they're a BG pensioner. BG came out, for nothing mind, fitted new tails from head to meter, new smart meter with the little remote display etc and an REC. All for nothing - no sign of the 40 quid. The only thing they didn't do and noted on their sheet was the old 16mm cloth tails from REC to cu which I've now changed.

I mentioned in another post UKPN subbies fitting a new head on another job where they left without fitting seals to the fuse!

There's no consistency with any of this tbh. The whole system is a mess. No wonder so many don't bother with the proper channels and the seal fairy visits!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good summary of the situation OnOff.

Just one thing to add, most of the meters supplied but Scottish & Southern have an isolator built in, so more often than not, I can just use that to isolate things.  It really is about time all meters were supplied like than, then at a stroke this grey area would be resolved safely.

That's a good summary of the situation OnOff.

Just one thing to add, most of the meters supplied but Scottish & Southern have an isolator built in, so more often than not, I can just use that to isolate things.  It really is about time all meters were supplied like than, then at a stroke this grey area would be resolved safely.
The UKPN bloke said something about I think it was EDF trialling meters with built in isolators but then not pursuing it down to cost (profit?).

Being a bit anal I over sleeved the all grey tails I left for him with brown and blue heatshrink - as in make it bleedin' obvious & it ain't coming off in a hurry! He then slapped on some horrible white tape stamped "L" & "N". On a bit of a wind up (and the fact it looked rough) I said how it was weird they don't recommend using tape for switched lives as it comes off but it was fine in this case.............he said "Oh, we used to use sleeving like yours but now they give us this cheap tape!"

Mad!

:C

i rewired my house a couple of weeks ago, after hearing all the horror stories about cutting the tags myself and being charged with fraud/stealing power tosh. i had eon round to pull the fuse so i could change over the boards and reconnect. the women on the phone said she would be sending someone around between 8am-8pm i had everything in place the night before for a quick turn over, when he turned up and told me he was only there to pull the fuse and leave also refused to reconnect it and all that fuss i changed over the tails whilst we still argued, he eventually just gave in and pushed the fuse in and crimped the silly tags

which is just catenary wire and tinned through crimps personally next time im just gonna do it myself and make up my own tags

i rewired my house a couple of weeks ago, after hearing all the horror stories about cutting the tags myself and being charged with fraud/stealing power tosh. i had eon round to pull the fuse so i could change over the boards and reconnect. the women on the phone said she would be sending someone around between 8am-8pm i had everything in place the night before for a quick turn over, when he turned up and told me he was only there to pull the fuse and leave also refused to reconnect it and all that fuss i changed over the tails whilst we still argued, he eventually just gave in and pushed the fuse in and crimped the silly tags

which is just catenary wire and tinned through crimps personally next time im just gonna do it myself and make up my own tags
You must have had the wrong biscuits on offer - Milk Chocolate Digestives did it from memory! 

Service Isolator Switches (1).JPGService Isolator Switches (2).JPG

If you are thinking of fitting an isolator, The Wylex REC is a nice piece of kit, but @ about £20.00

My own are priced @ £7.00,  £9.00 and £11.00. The £11.00 one is IP65 and is sealable.

SBS Dave

have used many of those, and cursed them virtually every time. Wylex unit far superior, but no ****** stocks them in Plymouth (something to do with tight fisted sparkies)

Hi Binky,

Wylex are far superior to what??

Which product have you used many of and what makes you curse them??

Clearly, it would help me, if I knew what features electricians were looking for.

I am looking forward to your further input.

SBS Dave