RCBO type

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tark

Reaction score
Why would you choose electromechanical over electrical RCBO or vice versa? Hager, ABB and other manufacturers offer two types of RCBOs. I would like to know what are the pros and cons of each.

most RCBOs / RCDs are electrical-mechanical. I think there are now 'solid'state' (electrical) versions available, but I've never used these. They are new to the market. In theory th solid state units hsould be more reliable over time, e/mech units have  a test button which nobody ever presses. This means the mechanical part can seize over time or become sluggish at best. In worts cases they fail to operate at all.

It doesn’t matter what you use there are mechanical parts. Everything is fallible be it electronic or mechanical.

This isn’t a RCD but an American combined AFCI / GFCI, lots of electronics but big chunks off mechanical bits.

AFCIr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure we are talking about the same devices. Let's take for example ABB's DSE201 and DS201 series. One is identified by the manufacturer as electromechanical and another - as electronic.

Tony S, I understand that part. However, my question still remains - why would you choose one type over the other? I remember reading somewhere that electronic RCBOs are less reliable, but I do not recall exactly why.

You need to ask the Americans about reliability, they’re not impressed with the electronic GFCI’s (RCD’s).
Isn't this the most popular type of RCBO used across the UK in the electrical consumer units?

View attachment 6429

maxresdefault.jpg.ab4eb4ae5a9a9a2e3de3e70d426db344.jpg

The Ds201 is used in commercial boards I work with them all the time. 

Are there any special requirements to choose specifically DS201 instead of DSE201?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, double module units don't fit too well in peoples domestic board spaces, think of your photos and double the width of the board., then try to jam huge board into a small cupbaord above the front door ....

Out of interest, why do you ask? What's your background?