Recommended Installer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

need4speed

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good pv installer in Scotland/Willing to fit in Scotland?

I seem to be finding lots of companies to avoid but not a good one. Ive spoken to the owners of 4 different homes local to me that have pv systems installed. Not 1 of them had good experiences with their installers!

Can anyone recommend a good pv installer in Scotland/Willing to fit in Scotland?

I seem to be finding lots of companies to avoid but not a good one. Ive spoken to the owners of 4 different homes local to me that have pv systems installed. Not 1 of them had good experiences with their installers!
what part of Scotland?

Not sure we have any Glawegians on here, perhaps one will turn up later. My advice would be to find a local small company, the big boys are a bit useless. Failing that, see if you can find a roofer and a sparky conversant with PV, you don't have to be MCS registered to do the work.

You will find that most PV installers are 'lash it in and on to the next one..' firms. EV is going the same way unfortunately.

Yes it seems that the big boys just sub out the work to any old cowboy and then don’t stand by their workmanship.
At least thats what appears to be the case talking to people.

If I need to resort to finding a local spark and roofer that are willing to install for me, where is the best place to purchase the equipment that I’ll need like panels/battery/inverter etc?
Is ebay even worth the risk?

If I need to resort to finding a local spark and roofer that are willing to install for me, where is the best place to purchase the equipment that I’ll need like panels/battery/inverter etc?
You can find all sorts on eBay, including spare panels from solar farms. Have a read of other posts on here, all the information you need is in those previous posts

Best to let the installer source the right equipment so he can give a warranty.

So I got a quote from an installer that came recommended to me.
Their comms have been excellent and always quick at answering any queries I have. However the quote they provided (£10800 for a 9 panel array including givenergy inverter and 8.2kwh battery and installation) does not include a breakdown of costs. And when I ask for a breakdown they said they couldnt do that.
Am I being picky or is this normal??

So I got a quote from an installer that came recommended to me.
Their comms have been excellent and always quick at answering any queries I have. However the quote they provided (£10800 for a 9 panel array including givenergy inverter and 8.2kwh battery and installation) does not include a breakdown of costs. And when I ask for a breakdown they said they couldnt do that.
Am I being picky or is this normal??

why do you want a breakdown of the costs?

if you start quibbling about the cost of the parts then I suspect the supplier might tell you to go away. I certainly do when people armed with a catalogue try this on with me 😊

Fair enough but I don’t think it’s unfair for an installer to breakdown a quote?
I mean we got a quote from a builder to carry out mods to our house and build an extension/open plan kitchen and the quote supplied was fully itemised??

Fair enough but I don’t think it’s unfair for an installer to breakdown a quote?
I mean we got a quote from a builder to carry out mods to our house and build an extension/open plan kitchen and the quote supplied was fully itemised??
That's rare. I stopped doing detailed quotes years ago, as customers used them to get quotes from others , and undercut my prices.

I itemise the final bill so they can see what it's included but wouldn't on a quote for the reasons stated above and that prices are changing so quickly it's not worth the effort