Shower isolator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got a job next week which is going to be a nightmare getting isolator outside bathroom door on wall and ceiling in bathroom isn't flat so pull chord type not an option.

What are your thoughts on having isolator above fuseboard downstairs?

The fuseboard is behind the front door on rhs and bathroom directly above it. Is isolator downstairs a no no as it needs to be local?

Any ideas guys

Cheers

This one is a sod, Matty. Chances are that

if it is downstairs it will never be used. I do

not think there is a general requirement but

I stand to be corrected.

By general requirement I mean on the location

of the switch.

I have just read the NIC guide on showers and

there is no specific statement that the isolator

should be as close to the shower as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it is downstairs it will not be local isolation so you have stumped me on this one:Blushing

I agree with technician in most cases I fit locally I once fitted one at the mains as the customer didn't want a pull cord in the bathroom and he didnt want a switch outside

Will it be a switch that can be locked off, and would you leave lock off gadget with switch.

Providing it can be locked off and clearly labelled as shower isolation switch, then local does not need to be within view etc.

This is interpretation again . I always look at it with "Local" as the point of the exercise and its not there just for a skilled person use , the example was once given of a plumber needing to make safe before removing the cover. So I don't think downstairs by fuseboard is an option really, may as well flick the breaker off .

So Matty , is it a sloping ceiling , like the eaves ? Could still fit a pull Sw.

Or could it go up against the ceiling perhaps, outside the door? Or in the bathroom itself , high level in the right zone?

Or in the airing cupboard ?

i read that the crabtree 50A pull switch can be wall mounted or did i miss read it.

This is interpretation again . I always look at it with "Local" as the point of the exercise and its not there just for a skilled person use , the example was once given of a plumber needing to make safe before removing the cover. So I don't think downstairs by fuseboard is an option really, may as well flick the breaker off . So Matty , is it a sloping ceiling , like the eaves ? Could still fit a pull Sw.

Or could it go up against the ceiling perhaps, outside the door? Or in the bathroom itself , high level in the right zone?

Or in the airing cupboard ?
Deke,

The mcb is only single pole isolation though and not double pole, so would it be deemed safe for working on with single pole isolation.

The idea of the local isolation as I understood it was so you could isolate and carry out maintenance with isolation switch in view, however last year we had towel rails with fused connection units outside each en-suite, client did not want them on view in the bedroom and asked if they could be hidden behind bedroom curtains, I said no NIC said yes providing they could be locked off.

So like you say it's interpretation, I personally would want it as near as possible, but is it actually a requirement if other requirements are met.

How about a lab bench single gang back box like this:

PEDDS2W. Arboles UK

Wondering if mounted on the angled ceiling it would bring the pull switch near level?

.........think I've some single gang, die-cast aluminium ones in the shed?

There is. For mechanical maintenance.

I would presume it's definitely in manufactures instructions?

Reg 537.3.2.1 (Devices for switching off for mechanical maintenance)

The switch need not necessarily interrupt the neutral conductor.

Further down the page...... may be achieved by - circuit breaker

Does an isolator not need to be within 2 meters of the equipment it isolates or did I just make that up? I'm sure I read it somewhere in BS 7671