some testing help please for consumer unit change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy sticker saying "safety electrical connection" to put by met. It has to be durable tho as I done a label from the printer myself and the assessor picked up on it at my last assessment and said it wasent durable but let it go. Hth

could someone please post a picture of this "safety electrical connection" on the met please

I never bother with those warning notices next to the MET, and have certainly never been picked up on it.

when testing, it says in my on site guide to test at everypoint, does this mean the actual light fitting as well yeah?

when testing, it says in my on site guide to test at everypoint, does this mean the actual light fitting as well yeah?
You should test at the extremity of the circuit. (the end) as this will be the worst case scenario. Hth

You should test at the extremity of the circuit. (the end) as this will be the worst case scenario. Hth
We did test at every point in college, but in the real world, if it is a PIR on an existing job and you couldn't easily find the extremity of the circuit, then one way to find it would be to test at every point.

If you wired this yourself o a re-wire you would know where the cct extremity is. (even then, you sould test at every point)? (what I was taught, at least).

No need to test at every point as the reading at the extremity should confirm correct connections throughout the circuit. If it's a new circuit you installed then you should know you connected it up correctly so no need to test. If it's a PIR maybe drop a few fittings and do some visual inspection.

No need to test at every point as the reading at the extremity should confirm correct connections throughout the circuit. If it's a new circuit you installed then you should know you connected it up correctly so no need to test. If it's a PIR maybe drop a few fittings and do some visual inspection.
So you do a PIR but not test all the sockets and one has the earth disconnected and somebody gets injured due to this surely you would be liable as you passed the property?

So you do a PIR but not test all the sockets and one has the earth disconnected and somebody gets injured due to this surely you would be liable as you passed the property?
Depends on the agreed\noted sample rate. I will generally check all outlets with a tester of some sort, although doing things by the book also assumes everyone else has so everything should be spot on from the outset anyway. Ideally you'd do a 100% PIR on an unknown installation the first time round, but that isn;t always the case.

Hi Dan.

For New work or Additions and alterations -No leeway here- follow the requirements of BRB Chapter 61.

For P.I.Rs Follow BRB Chapter 62, and pay particular attention to 621.1 and the words -as far as reasonably practicable-..and

621.2 and the phrases detailed examination, plus... partial dismantling as required.supplemented by appropriate tests from Chapter 61 to show that the requirements for disconnectuion times.......are complied with.

The answer to your question can only be formed on application of these requirements to your particular installation.

-Hope that helps Dan.

a1spark