Surge Protection mandatory Sect 433

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SPD's - Just going by experience, Customer had extractor fans lasting 2/3 days(approx 10 years ago)...quality ones for 2 weeks at best....transient voltage caused by heavy industry nearby, SPD installed.
If I see TVs/delicate electronic equipment burning out every week, I'd fit one as standard. Or one could say the equipment was not fit for purpose. I have used surge protection for years on my PC/laptop via a plug or extension lead. However, it should not be promoted as a must have solution for cheap electrical devices designed not to last.

Amd1 departure - I have used old forms/certs because new ones were not published in time...and have been assessed as non-compliant due to not having SPD or AFDD tick box on my certs. So what is really important here ? Carrying out electrical work in a safe manner to a good standard or ticking boxes I currently rarely use? Thats CPS for you 🙃

BS7671 :Thank you(y) I will look into it, In the meantime there are some real creative reviews on Amazon about BS7671:2018

"Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, Eighteenth Edition, BS 7671:2018 (Electrical Regulations)"​

That is so miss-leading and incorrect, there is no such thing as the "IET wiring Regulations" BS7671 is a BS and just a guide to the minimum standard required, to be a Regulation it has to be in Statute, that is, put forward as a Bill and accepted through the Hose of Commons passed on the the House of Lords and thence to the Sovereign for Royal Assent and onward to the Secretary of State for incorporation into Statute and become Law.

As too the void insurance statement if not complied with that is also a nonsense.

Miss-leading is also misleading I must say.
They can be called the IET Wiring Regulations as the IET regulate them.

there's a strong legal case to be a made I believe that they should be free, now that they are more often a requirement than they were. In fact there is a court case running in Europe on similar issue with Toy standards

Miss-leading is also misleading I must say.
They can be called the IET Wiring Regulations as the IET regulate them.
As I said above they are not Regulations, just guidance.

As I said above they are not Regulations, just guidance.
They are the IET's Regulations they drew them up and regulate them therefore they are their Regulations.

Gentlemen. You will all have to agree to disagree with each other. I have said before you have to respect that everyone has their own opinion, but it doesn't mean you have to agree with said opinion. In the interests of the forum and the sanity of most I am locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.