telephone socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whilst 2nd fixing an extension customer has asked if I can add a phone point in new bedroom

I can drop a cable in no problem but getting back to master socket is a nightmare, other side of house @10m new tiling above, laminate everywhere else up&down

however I've noticed that there is a plug in extension from master in hall to living room

I think I've found this far end of bedroom (goes up hall wall, behind coving 4m then under laminated landing, under tiled bathroom until it crosses corner of bedroom then down wall to living room)

My questions are

can I cut this cable and joint in my new cable so the plug in extension serves both slave sockets?

Will it work correctly?

I'm assuming il still only need to connect pin 2.& 5.

Thanks

you need 2 3 & 5 unless you fit a master. without 3' date=' the phone wont ring (unless the phone has its own cap/resistor to split the signal)[/quote']Cheers Andy

I thought 3 was just for older style phones?

No harm pushing that baby home though it would make the job a ten minute doddle

Terminal 3 was originally used to stop 'bell tinkle' when dialling out.

The capacitor in the master box allows bt to test up to that point and determine if your phone is faulty outside of your premises.

Your phone should ring even if you omit 3.

You shouldn't need term 3 anymore AFAIK just 2-5 and fit a slave as long as theres a master at the incoming . Andys' still on a GPO dial phone I think :C :shakehead:tongue in cheek;)

You shouldn't need term 3 anymore AFAIK just 2-5 and fit a slave as long as theres a master at the incoming . Andys' still on a GPO dial phone I think :C :shakehead:tongue in cheek;)
tbh i dont really do much with phones so dont know a great deal about them. always thought they needed term 3 (well, not all, but enough)

So did I M8 but as said above it term 3 was to stop other bell ringing phones from tinkling when you dialed. Nothing worse than having a tinkle when you dial .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts