testing to see if upstairs is leeching off my meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billkruse

Reaction score
Hi there,

The flat upstairs from me got refurbished some years ago. It's been empty ever since. Now someone's moved in and my electric bill's gone through the roof. It's four times what it was. I'm with British Gas, who despite accepting that the meter's faulty (they say the check meter showed the original meter is undercharging) aren't interested in tales of unlikely wiring.

I've lived here in this old, old property, converted into four flats and a house, 30 years. I've always lived within my means. It's absurd to suggest that out of the blue I've suddenly started using all this extra electricity - I'm alone in a single-bedroom maisonette. My bills, in recent years, have been a little higher than you might expect, but hey, I got given an old tv and I leave it on all night. Till just recently, I've been leaving my computer on all night too. I thought that explained that, but... I found out from the guy upstairs, he's the son-in-law of my landlady, she's been turning the storage heaters on in the winters to take the chill off the place. Since he's moved in, he's had them going full-blast, he feels the cold terribly. I reckon that's psychological due to his circumstances, which I won't go into. He's even put bubblewrap in the windows. So, if the storage heaters are routed through my meter, that would account for why my bills have been a little high for years and are astronomical now. BG are charging me

I am surer someone will have some help & advice for you, through out the day and or Tonight, Bill.

Have a talk with him, get him to turn on the heaters upstairs and then turn off your fuseboard at the main switch. Then see if they are still working. :)

Hi there,How can I test to see if the juice powering the heaters from upstairs is going through my meter? BG want to put a new one in but I'm avoiding that as I'm sure they'll put a key meter in that'll just eat up my money. I don't want that at all. It's difficult to test from down here with an inaccurate meter. Any ideas please folks?

BB
Switch everything off in your flat, record/observe the meter reading, check the meter the following day.

Don

Hello m8 welcome.

Q1. Is there a separate CU, (fuse board) upstairs?

As Mr S suggests if upstairs are cooperative...

a little "switch thing on" then "turn off fuses" will sort it...

If not and they are trying to hide something then

1) A visual check around the fuse box & meter arrangement would identify any separate wiring disappearing up wards.

2) a clamp-on meter around the supply tails at you meter would register any current flowing..

If all of your stuff is switched OFF and current is still flowing then that would look suspicious.

3) With the system "dead" electrical continuity tests could be done across the wires..

If any appliances are connected you would get some continuity readings indicating something else is plugged or wired up somewhere?

hope that helps.. :D

Other thoughts..

You haven't been on one of those fixed price tariff things for a set period of time that has now ended & prices adjusted?

Afternoon Specs.

OP, Bill... Is it possible that you could take some pics of your Consumer Unit and post them on here Please?

Switch of your comsumer unit and clamp the phase tail coming out of the meter if there is any current being drawn you will see

Switch of your comsumer unit and clamp the phase tail coming out of the meter if there is any current being drawn you will see
Or just watch for the light flashing / dials spinning (for those without a clamp meter ;) )

Bill, Leave BG put a new meter in - They will pick on tails supplying your neighbour, if they are connected directly to their side. ]:)

Are you able to take pictures of your meter and Consumer Unit - to post on here?

Thanks. It's just plain wrong. I'm using 10 units or so a day at the moment. I have a sleep disorder and it's tricky keeping regular hours and logging regular times else I'd have got more on the case earlier. Anyway I've been logging a daily check and passing the details on to BG. I'm going to have a go at them tomorrow purely (for now) about why it's that expensive. I think now I have a partial picture of what's happened. BG took a reading ages ago, last winter I think (not the one just gone) and since then it's been estimates all through till towards the end of this winter. Matey upstairs had his fire on big-time and I had mine on too, and both of them ran through my meter. BG are treating me as if that's the usual kind of juice I burn all the time these days and are charging me accordingly. The reality of course is quite different. His fire's off, mine's off, and I'm back to using sensible leccy units again. This is not being reflected in my bills, however.

BG want to put a new meter in as they say the old one was under-charging a few units a day. Well, that's as may be, could be true actually - how would I know either way? I think that's going to show a realistic reflection of how much leccy I'm using and I don't have a problem with that. If BG continue to overcharge me the way it looks like they're currently doing, they can explain it in court.

This doesn't solve the problem of Matey upstairs running his heaters of my meter. I'm sure it's happening because it fits the pattern of what's going on here. Regarding testing it, what's a clamp meter and what are tails please?

The Landlady's getting an electrician in - I'd prefer someone professional does the testing, this is an old gaff and I wonder of something else might not turn up while we're about it- and I'd like to look like I have some idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for all,

BB
try and be in when the sparky comes,,he will explain how its fed to you and the flat above.

if there is something wrong take notes photos etc then go back to BG

also ask for a copy of the electricians report

You won't like me when I am angry, KME....I turn Green. :eek:

:^O
Could you explain your use of the word "turn" in the above sentence????

Thank you.

Besides. Who told you that we liked you when you weren`t angry? They MAY have been telling porkies. :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O