van racking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jono, how big are your steps?

I simply had a bit of 2x1" across from the drivers guard rail to a bit of upright(at an angle kinda thing) on the passenger side,

top of steps on that and a bungee at the back to strap the bottom of the steps to the roof.

they poked over the passenger seat a bit, but as long as the passenger minded their head getting in and out it wasnt a problem.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:01 ----------

paul, I have something similar in the Scudo, I'll take a pic of the back tomorrow and post it up.

Jono, how big are your steps?I simply had a bit of 2x1" across from the drivers guard rail to a bit of upright(at an angle kinda thing) on the passenger side,

top of steps on that and a bungee at the back to strap the bottom of the steps to the roof.

they poked over the passenger seat a bit, but as long as the passenger minded their head getting in and out it wasnt a problem.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:01 ----------

paul, I have something similar in the Scudo, I'll take a pic of the back tomorrow and post it up.
god i hope your not refering to the self abuse post!

Good idea that Steps will have alook in the morning far as i know i dont have any calls first thing but then our office took a lightning strike earlier so i dunno!

its late and ive had a beer, all this talk of steps(steptoe) and steps(step ladder) im getting confused and now have an image of steps(steptoe) bungied to the side of the van with his head poking over the front seat

Good idea that Steps will have alook in the morning far as i know i dont have any calls first thing but then our office took a lightning strike earlier so i dunno!
Jono, they are fairly small, but I found that a smallish shelving behind drivers seat worked good, enough room behind that for toolbox etc, and it kept all the LHS clear for biggish stuff, rolls of cable etc, 2x lengths of 4" soil will fit from passenger footwell to corner of back door and still close, passenger seat wound fully back will fit 2800mm of worktop from dash to backdoor,

and if you empty everything but the shelving you can fit a Yamaha R6 and a Honda NC35 in the back along with some tools/spares, the passenger wont have much legroom though!!! :D

If you make your own dont use MDF. I did and its failing after 2 years. The plywood rack i took out my old van & is now across the bulkhead is 15 years old and still like new.
I will agree with this slips. I use ex BT vans and they have shelving made of MDF. It does seem to fail. My current one I had to repair quite a few of the shelves before I could use it. Apparently the later ones do have plywood interiors so should be a lot better, not sure if I will get one though my last van I had for over ten years.

what sort of van do you have Batty?

I really have no idea what to look for, was thinking another Scudo/variant, but been looking at connects recently, maybe I should start a new thread on this.

The BT box van they call them the tonners. They are Transit twin wheelers but ideal as they are already racked out and you can stand up in the back which I like. I keep saying I will take a picture but seem always to busy.

jeez batty, too much for me, mpg, parking, etc etc, just not suitable for my work, Im on the opposite end, but I'll bet Andy reckons they are too small! :eek: :slap

I think it does depend what work you do. As you say they are not cheap to run ETC but most of my work is fairly local. If I travelled big miles I would certainly get a more economical van.