Why has my Dimplex storage heater stopped working?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see! Just sent an email to the seller on Ebay with a photo - just to make sure they are happy as well. They confirmed this today and I placed the order. Will fit them when they arrive. Probably won't be until around 10th Jan due to the payment method I used and the time it takes for delivery.

Incidentally, my local wholesaler wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My father in laws storage heater stopped working, and after testing as per post 16 I have 0.22 on all the elements, and 0.4 on the terminal block.

Does this mean the thermostat has failed?

Thankyou for a great resource, saved me a lot of hassle.

22ohms shows that you have a 3 element (2kW) storage heater, so long as you do have a 3 element storage heater then they seem to be ok.

TBH before you go looking at changing any of the stats (if you have a reading at the input terminal block then it sounds like the stats are ok) you need to be sure that the heater actually has a supply.

Thanks very much for quick reply, yes it is a 3 element storage heater, what is the best way to check for a supply, as it is on economy seven I think, from edf, does that mean I have to check before 7am? I have checked the fuse in the white meter and seems ok, but there is no fuse on the wall socket.

I could run a heavy duty cable to another socket to test.

..... and 0.4 on the terminal block.Does this mean the thermostat has failed?
That bit worries me. 0.4 on WHICH terminal block, where?

You HAVE turned the switch feeding the heater off first haven't you?

It sounds like you put both probes on the same side of the terminal and you are reading the lead resistance of your meter. Otherwise you have a serious short circuit somewhere.

The switch was definately turned off, the white meter fuse box was also switched off, I put one probe on the blue wire and the other on the brown wire, on the terminal block where the supply comes in from the socket, is that not correct?

There is no indicator light on the switch, and I was using the 200 ohms setting

What the guys are getting at is that the readings you posted are out by a factor of 100 to what they should be,,,, in my pervious reply I assumed that you'd either typed them out wrongly or misplaced he decimal point,,,,

Was I right or wrong????

Sorry for the confusion, could you tell me what they should read, should it read 22 and 4

Well,, 3 elements in parallel should read 22ohms at the element terminations,,,,, and TBH you should get something pretty similar at the input terminals, maybe a little higher though due to the thermostats contact resistance.... shouldn't be massively different though.

Obviously if the input or safety stat are open circuit then when you measure at the input terminals the resistance will also be open circuit as these are in series with the elements.

Do you think if I changed the thermostat it would fix it, or shall I call an electrician?

Do you think if I changed the thermostat it would fix it, or shall I call an electrician?
Lets say you just got the readings wrong and they were 22ohms and 40ohms,,,

Now if that is the case then I doubt that there is a fault within the heater that is causing it to not heat up.

Could you go and double check those readings and report back (including the meter setting)?

The switch was definately turned off, the white meter fuse box was also switched off, I put one probe on the blue wire and the other on the brown wire, on the terminal block where the supply comes in from the socket, is that not correct?
If that really does read 0.4 ohms, then you have a short circuit on the wiring somewhere.

I'll bet the fuse or MCB feeding that heater has blown.

Time to call an electrician.

plymouth devon

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:36 ----------

Thankyou for all your help, time to call the experts.

I feel that I could recommend the first 3 of admins links tbh given the way they conduct themselves on here.

I only can't recommend the 4th because I personally don't know of their postings!

Happy New Year everyone.

ProDave - Pleased to say my new Dimplex storage heater elements are on their way, and wondered if you might be kind enough to give me some guidance on refitting them when they arrive?

Regards to all,

Martyh

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year everyone.ProDave - Pleased to say my new Dimplex storage heater elements are on their way, and wondered if you might be kind enough to give me some guidance on refitting them when they arrive?

Regards to all,

Martyh
really easy to fit. isolate, check its dead, remove cover & bricks, unscrew terminals on old, then reverse with new one. then enjoy the heat