Why has my Dimplex storage heater stopped working?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add you only need to undo the top two screws in each of the ceramic terminal blocks.

You only need to loosen them enough to let the old elements lift out. If you undo them too far, and they fall out, they can be fiddly to get them back again.

Put the new elements in. You may need to squeeze the ends together or apart a little so both ends drop right into the terminal block.

Check with your multimeter once the elements are in and you should see the correct readings.

Put the bricks back and re assemble the heater, then turn it on and let us know if it's nice and warm in the morning

Thanks ProDave/steptoe/Andy.

I bet they won't smell as bad as me - I only have one bath a year!

(only kidding)!

ROTFWL

Only fitted them this morning ProDave.

Ok - Isolated everything then tested new elements at ends prior to fitting - reading 71 ohms on one and 69 ohms on the other.

Fitted and secured elements in place and took new readings at each element at screws in ceramic blocks - both sides read 35 ohms .

Refitted bricks and metal panel/bricks cover. Refitted front panel and switched on at consumer unit and then at supply switch. Set automatic input dial to 9.

I will check for heat in the morning.

NB: should I hear any clicking from the automatic input dial at this stage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Often as you rotate the input dial, it may well click on / off at about it's minimum setting, depending how hot the room is.

Let us know tomorrow if it's nice and hot.

Hi there guys.i've been following these posts as my daughters XMS724N heater has stopped working.i followed thread 16 for testing the elements.When I set the multimeter to either ohm setting it comes on with a number 1 with a dot by it.When putting the the leads on the bottom connections of the element,that figure drops to 0.00.By the way,it is a 3.4 kw 4 element heater.My daughter has no owners manual for it,i've tried the Dimplex site to no avail.Any help would be great!

Number 1. Means its it's open and it's not reading on the scale. 0.00 means no resistance ie dead short. Hth

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:27 ----------

Have you tried the thermal reset button. Has the heater had clothes draped over it to dry them ? Thermal cutout may have operated:)