A little advise please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBloke1976

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am wanting to put 4 double sockets in the loft.

I have been reading a few post on here on wiring diagrams, and thought I would post on here before I set to work. Just to make sure I have it right.

Loop main is the safest way to install for atic?

RCBO 16a. I was also told to put the on a 30a. But which should I get?

The consumer unit is a Crabtree, star Braker. Well this is what it states on the front.

I have never done this before, and as soon as I am done I will be getting a sparky in to check the work.

Any help would be great.

Ty

Not wanting to cause offence but if you are getting a sparks in to check after, why not just get them to do the work?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

first thing to consider is how much power you will need in the attic, seldom would there be any high usage so 16 amp should under normal circumstances be enough.

However you will also need to take into consideration voltage drop over long distances, rings are used as a method of using less cable and of lower diameter. Radials are often more convenient providing all calculations for the supply have been done.

Why dont you ask a local electrician to advise what to install, you do the labour and let the electrician check and test the work once it is complete.

I think you may find that a new circuit will come under building regulations, has I do not do domestic work maybe those who do could advise on this.

Now if you are putting in a new circuit:

1. Notify Local building control of the intended work.
  2. Pay the local building control notifiable works fee (

folks, this is in the DIY section, chances are this is going to get done anyway,

why dont we just try and help to get it done safe?

like thousands of other jobs out there this is never going to get notified or anything else, lets just try,

getting a professional in is all good advice, but its not going to happen.

Fatbloke, can you take some pictures for us please?

I hope those sockets are not for growing nowt of an illegal nature
Lmao. No m8. It's being used as a makeshift pc room, but I have a vivarium. Which are all run by a cut to length, thermo cutout extension cable.

So as you see, I would really like it to be a lot safer. But at the same time I would like to learn this sort of thing as I have always feared electric, so I am going to sit my part p next year, and thought I would use as a tester, to see if I can do it. Lol

Steptoe what kind of pics do you want to see?bad day explodebad day explode

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt not wanting to help just pointing out some options.

Steptoe what kind of pics do you want to see?
The meter / service fuse & means of earthing.

The consumer unit.

If you can, isolate the conumer unit by the main switch take the cover off & picture inside.

The gas meter where earth bond is connected.

Water stop cock where earth bond is connected.

Other info:

Some idea of distance for the route you'll be running the cable frm consumer unit to loft.

How will you run the cable (in trunking or clipped to walls or buried in the wall)

If I were u I'd get the sparky in and ask to assist him only then could pick up some useful tips of the trade. I don't believe that even the basics are something that can be learned from a book or the Internet. Even the simplest of tasks can have an easy way and a hard way and it's through experience that the easy way and also the correct way is found and that's why we all have our journeymen to thank I've been doing it for 12 years and I'm still learning yet. Just out of curiosity what's growing in your vivarium

I wasnt not wanting to help just pointing out some options.The meter / service fuse & means of earthing.

The consumer unit.

If you can, isolate the conumer unit by the main switch take the cover off & picture inside.

The gas meter where earth bond is connected.

Water stop cock where earth bond is connected.

Other info:

Some idea of distance for the route you'll be running the cable frm consumer unit to loft.

How will you run the cable (in trunking or clipped to walls or buried in the wall)
The pics will have to wait till tomorrow evening I'm afraid,

The gas and water both have a earth bonding

The whole Run is about 25 meters

The area that are showing will be in trunking screwed to the wall, as it's only half of the attic that is being used.

But I will post the pics and other info, tomorrow.

Thanks again

Lmao. No m8. It's being used as a makeshift pc room, but I have a vivarium. Which are all run by a cut to length, thermo cutout extension cable. So as you see, I would really like it to be a lot safer. But at the same time I would like to learn this sort of thing as I have always feared electric, so I am going to sit my part p next year, and thought I would use as a tester, to see if I can do it. Lol

Steptoe what kind of pics do you want to see?bad day explodebad day explode
Welcome to the forum I have always feared electric is really not a good way to approach doing electrical work.