Garage Power fed via SWA from the back of a 13amp double socket to a DB in Garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The RCD and mcb in the house CU for the kitchen ring will provide all the protection you need for your armoured cable. The FCU will only provide a means of isolation if you ever wanted to make it dead without affecting the kitchen sockets which i think is a good idea if its easier eniugh to install without making too much mess but still not necessary. You keep mentioning extra protection for the armoured but it's just an extension of the kitchen ring. Those cables don't have 'extra' protection do they?

Garage CU- It's a 63amp main switch not 63mA and it doesn't need to be an RCD main switch in the garage as the circuits are already protected by RCD in the house.

Are you going to provide a test cert with this?

Why you upgrading the 16amp mcb to 20amp? What are they going to be using in this garage? With a battery charger and drill it will be less than 5 amps.

There is no point up grading the mcb from 16a to 20a if your going to put a 13a fuse protecting the mcb.

If its 4mm it should take 32a

If its for isolation then why not put a ip rated isolation out side?

Please tell me the swa is not had the armour cut off and wired straight into the socket

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:08 ----------

Edit....swa! Not mcb on first line

If the swa comes straight out of the back of a sso which is part of an RCD protected RFC, then:1. the swa is a spur and may only feed one outlet. If it is required to feed more than one outlet then the swa should have an FCU at it's origin.

2. there is no need for any more RCDs, you already have one and there would be no discrimination

Also watch out for where on the rfc this spur is taken and any possibility that the garage usage might result in an unbalanced ring.

Don't forget that a 13A 1362 will pass 20A continuously!
I take the point with a spur off the RFC only being able to run 1 point but is it not acceptable to fit a FSU at the far end of the spur IE in this case in the garage, this still prevents the spurred cable being overloaded. In this case the garage consumer unit acts as a FSU. I have a sneaky feeling this is referred to in the OSG. It is acceptable to protect a cable on the far end against overload.

:shakehead :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead STEPS help 5ww thread I think :slap

M107

Have I not already posted?

:|

This is joke, I really dont know why you are all still debating how to.polish turd!

This is a joke install, and always will be, RCD, thy show better installs on cowboys and gayboys, cos doing something like this and thinking you are going to.do it right makes you one or the other.!

IMHO,

my comments do not reflect the views of the forum or its administrators

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:18 ----------

Frickin phone on.autospell!

Is this ashford Kent? If so seen it lots of times. Tbh when I was house bashing this sort of crap went on when customer had bought house then starts making demands, site agents would please them by writing SI for electricians who would loose materials on site temps most probably. To be honest you won't improve it a great deal oter than fitting a fused spur to take the lot down to 13A if the customer wants more tell them the cost to do it properly.