My Book Has Been Withdrawn.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why feel sorry for him?

If I had written a book that got such scathing reviews, I would be embarrassed, and would quietly disown it. I certainly would not go on a public forum to bring it to others attention.   Is he actually seeking ridicule?

Edit:

Or just got a stack of them from the print run he wants to offload and never figured we would read the reviews?

P.S it's easy to self publish a book. Where I used to live a group of us wrote a book on the history of the village and self published with a print run of just 500 copies, half of them pre sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look what I`ve missed!

Miss Sweden Naked with Albert, a poster with an (apparently) sad idea of the arcane art of electric trickery; and Albert waxing lyrical about sharing hotel rooms again ( I remember when.............................no, never mind) :slap

I haven`t looked at the book reviews; cos I don`t care. Anyone can write anything; be it on a forum, or in a publication. People take it as they find it.

However. The above notwithstanding; looking at the O/P.

A radiator, apparently not in contact with the general mass of earth, either by circumstance or design, supplied with plastic pipework, gave you "a shock".

So - at the time - what did you do about it?

You`ve blamed the "rusty water"  - as far as I recall, water doesn`t rust. How did you prove the primary heating medium was the conductor?

Where did it pick this voltage up? Presumably, not at a point fitted with plastic pipework?

So it was copper pipe? Or at the boiler or tank ( if fitted).

The boiler should be earthed - as should the tank, through its thermostatic controls.

If the "rusty water" is such a good conductor, the fault current ought to have flowed through the boiler, to earth; and dropped out the RCD.

More info would help? 

I think the OP has left us.

Good luck on the Autism book John and please let me know how you get on with it as it is a subject close to my heart.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
"The IET were sent a copy of this book . We told the Author that it was heavily flawed and inaccurate when he asked for our opinion of it. We do not recommend this publication as a reference book and it should not be used as such."

Hi All,

The radiator was a single isolated radiator in an outbuilding that also contained a shower cubicle and a small kitchen with a metal sink, there was a mixture of copper and plastic pipework but the radiator was fed in plastic.

I recieved quite a nasty shock off of the radiator having got out of the shower whilst putting a wet towel on it. I moved out shortly afterwards without getting a chance to investigate the fault further.

My point is that under such circumstances the radiator can be described as a 'conductor of electrical energy' and according to the EAWR must therefore be earthed (or placed out of reach, be insulated or have obsticles placed around it to prevent anybody touching it), which was exactly the same point that I was trying to raise in my green book and therefore under these circumstances the 16th Edition has been proved to be correct (as also in the case of the death of Emma Shaw when she came into contact with a stud partition that had become hazardous live).

In this case then the radiator, being supplied via plastic pipes, isn't even extraneous; the ONLY way that it could have become live is by the fixing screws piercing a cable.

I also think that you have a very poor idea about your duty of care to the next resident if you didn't fix this fault.

You have very strange ideas as to what a conductor is,,,, would you also earth (your words) every screw, nail, door hinge, door handle, etc? Because under your definition they are also conductors!

Hi Noz,

What do you mean it isn't even extraneous? An extraneous conductive part is something not related to the electrical system.

It certainly wasn't the fixing screws, it was an intermittent fault (sorry for not mentioning that).

It wasn't my installation therefore I could not persaude the owner to let me investigate the fault, but my best guess would be an insulation resistance fault (cable crushed against copper pipework somewhere on the hot water system.

Finally screws and hinges etc. can't be gripped by the human hand and therefroe do not present a danger if they do become hazardous live.

Latest posts