Newly self-employed, need help pricing a job :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting how many EU nationals that link estimates are in the UK. Doesn't sound many compared to the published numbers and when HMRC reveal how many NI numbers are active what will that show?

Hmmm, I always take stats with a Cheshire salt mine sized pinch of salt!

I posted that link (I know it's an advert), because if I was an EU migrant, it might not be as simple as 'I'm here, I'm staying here.'

I'd be seriously looking into it if I were one and wanted to stay in the UK.

Oooooo, decisions, decisions!

Do I believe the advice from a firm of qualified solicitors or an electrician from Essex? :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
The facts are there is not a level playing field for the persons who choose to come here against those of us who are here by default. 

I'm currently on a multimillion pound job, the plasters/boarders are all Eastern Europeans, many have admitted that they all live in shared houses, some subletting rooms to other EE's, we have had some turn up with suitcases, I kid you not, having been in the country two weeks. The company is run by EE's who employ only their fellows statesmen, the job has suffered tremendously, why? Because communication is dire, how they pass H&S is beyond me as they wouldn't understand "evacuate" unless they walked into the fire, also the standard of work is different to how we over here work so further complications, all this adds to frustration amongst other trades some of which are EE's (who can speak fluent English) the job will without a shadow of doubt overrun both in time and budget. 

So with ten or more to a house sharing all the bills etc they can afford to undercut the average established English (and I use that lightly) tradesman. Now when that impacts on the indigenous person standard of living, be it income or home life then how can it be good for the economy? No it is good for those companies that seek to employ these people no one else benefits. I've actually spoke to some that do speak English and they talk of going home in a couple of years as they can't afford to stay as they don't wish to live 10 to a house forever.

when I actually ask a former Home Secretary at the time if he'd be prepared to live amongst these people with the way they live he replied no I'm fortunate not to have too!! Sums it up if you ask me. 

The facts are there is not a level playing field for the persons who choose to come here against those of us who are here by default. 

I'm currently on a multimillion pound job, the plasters/boarders are all Eastern Europeans, many have admitted that they all live in shared houses, some subletting rooms to other EE's, we have had some turn up with suitcases, I kid you not, having been in the country two weeks. The company is run by EE's who employ only their fellows statesmen, the job has suffered tremendously, why? Because communication is dire, how they pass H&S is beyond me as they wouldn't understand "evacuate" unless they walked into the fire, also the standard of work is different to how we over here work so further complications, all this adds to frustration amongst other trades some of which are EE's (who can speak fluent English) the job will without a shadow of doubt overrun both in time and budget. 

So with ten or more to a house sharing all the bills etc they can afford to undercut the average established English (and I use that lightly) tradesman. Now when that impacts on the indigenous person standard of living, be it income or home life then how can it be good for the economy? No it is good for those companies that seek to employ these people no one else benefits. I've actually spoke to some that do speak English and they talk of going home in a couple of years as they can't afford to stay as they don't wish to live 10 to a house forever.

when I actually ask a former Home Secretary at the time if he'd be prepared to live amongst these people with the way they live he replied no I'm fortunate not to have too!! Sums it up if you ask me. 

I do not disagree with everything you say but the days when the British skilled tradesmen can look down his or her's nose at other coutries trademen is long gone. 

5WW anyone?

(OT)    As an Officer of the Topic Police   (OTP)  I now declare this thread  BOT.   (Back On Topic) 

Is it something peculiar to Sparkies ....start a thread then fly off in all directions .............so what was the thread about anyway ?

Canoeboy said:
I don't know, I don't go round with a ballot box asking people, its not an area as such its the whole county, perhaps i should make that country.

And mentioning Nazi's (in your other post)  is just not cricket.........

It is definitely not a problem where I live. Although I get your point. 

If anyone thinks we as The United Kingdom will ship off any non-British EU citizen back to their country just because we vote to leave a union that we have belonged to for many many years are clearly deluded. There is only one other period of time I think anything like that has happened in Europe. So my post is not that uncricketlike. 

So families that have grown but not got married. All going to spilt are they? Leaving children motherless or fatherless? Of course not. That has to be the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. 

Hmmm, I always take stats with a Cheshire salt mine sized pinch of salt!

I posted that link (I know it's an advert), because if I was an EU migrant, it might not be as simple as 'I'm here, I'm staying here.'

I'd be seriously looking into it if I were one and wanted to stay in the UK.

Do you honestly think they are going to ship my misses off and leave my son without a mother. Deary me. You could not make it up. 

Canoeboy said:
Are you on drugs ? Deluded ? Do you actually read and take in what you type before you post it ?

Deke was correct all them posts ago  :innocent

It was suggested that non-British EU citezens will be sent home. So a Polish mother and a British father. How else can you read it?  

Canoeboy said:
Do you actually read and take in what you type before you post it ?

Haha, you've beaten me to it!

@Essex1

Do you stick your fingers in your ears and go 'Lalalalala'? :slap

You're just bleating your ill informed opinions, I'm just trying to present some potential problems that could have serious consequences for some people.

Haha, you've beaten me to it!

@Essex1

Do you stick your fingers in your ears and go 'Lalalalala'? :slap

You're just bleating your ill informed opinions, I'm just trying to present some potential problems that could have serious consequences for some people.

I get that. And I am just saying never in a million years would that happen. 

I can take an alternative opinion without getting the needle about it so why can't others. 

They do say those that resort to belittleing in an arguement have have lost the arguement. 

@Essex1

Like I've often been told in the many countries I've lived in,

Don't like our rules,?

Then courgette off,!!!

You can join your misses (shouldn't that be Mrs,? )  if you want to, that's your decision.!