outside light on pir and switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Evening all!

Just looked at putting an outside light up and asked if they wanted it with a switch so they can turn it off, guy said that it will shorten the life span of the pir....is this true?

Whilst I'm on the subject.....if the pir did fail, could I retro fit a stand alone pir? Or would they need to get a complete new light

thanks xx

My outside light has been operating via the PIR & an override switch for the best part of 6 years, so cant see a problem of lifeshortening of the PIR just because the light is also switched.

Yes you can fit a stand alone PIR, just disconnect the one fitted to the light & wire in the remote one, but remember to use 3c/e between the light & pir.

Hope that makes some sort of sense

My question would be if hes such an expert why isnt he fitting the damn thing himself?

You know what is going to happen now, don't you.?? The fitting will be faulty and after about 7 weeks after the warranty runs out he is going to back on the phone hounding you like a fricking News of the World Reporter....'I told you so, replace it F.O.C.' 5ods Law will apply, I can feel it in my water............... :coat

You could point out to him that when the lamp fails, he will need to change it. Because he will probably be standing in front of the PIR at the time and blocking the natural light, the circuit will go live, the new lamp will light as soon as the pins make contact and he will burn his fingers because he didn't have a switch to turn it off with. :)

Evening all!Just looked at putting an outside light up and asked if they wanted it with a switch so they can turn it off, guy said that it will shorten the life span of the pir....is this true?

Whilst I'm on the subject.....if the pir did fail, could I retro fit a stand alone pir? Or would they need to get a complete new light

thanks xx
Is he getting confused with some of those CFL energy saving lamps, that allegedly have better lifespan if left on for longer periods rather than repeated turning on/off?

Doc H.

If that was the case, Doc, he'd be better off having the switch and ditching the PIR bit.