Storage heater has turned off !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adi01

Reaction score
Hello, please note I am completly ignorant to anything electrical. However, I have a Dimplex Ultra-slim Storage heater (Model XLN) that has stopped working overnight.

A couple of years ago an electrician came out me to and reset my heater because he said it had cut out. I wonder if the same problem has happened again? The problem for me and many is that it cost me approx

Hello, please note I am completly ignorant to anything electrical. However, I have a Dimplex Ultra-slim Storage heater (Model XLN) that has stopped working overnight. A couple of years ago an electrician came out me to and reset my heater because he said it had cut out.

This is a possibility. Store heaters have an overheat cut out. The heater may have overheated because it was covered or may be full of dust restricting air flow. The cut outs can go faulty too and require replacement. Of course, you could have a wiring fault instead, either internal or external

I wonder if the same problem has happened again? Quite possible The problem for me and many is that it cost me approx

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 all the manuals are available for download with dimplex which shows how to get cover off. Did you cover the storage heaters with clothes ? As the thermal cutout goes it normally means something else may be on the blink. Needs to be tested

Thank you for your quick responses. At the moment I have run into a problem. I do not have the tools to try and remove the front panal so any attempt will have to wait until the morning.

What is the best, cheapest tool I can buy to get this done?

Cheers

Either a PH2 or PZ2 screwdriver. IIRC these use PH2.

I did write in my first reply:

"There are two or three screws across the bottom of the front panel"

Now, and I'm being quite serious here, if you don't understand that screws require a screwdriver, should you really go poking your fingers into this appliance?

if its a lead link thats melted, then you will need a new lead link to replace the old one...

if the thermal cutout trips/melts, its usually because of another problem. usually clothes left on top of heater blocking vents

resetting link/new link is fairly straight forward, but if you dont even own a screwdriver then your probably best getting someone in to fix the heater

My thoughts exactly Andy. I live near a very 'executive' area and I have a number of clients who happily pay me to do the simplest of jobs for the simple reason that they really haven't got a clue - don't know which end of a screwdriver is sharp!

So far, I can't tell that the OP does not fall into that category.

Actually just to be pedantic, some versions of the Dimplex storage heaters need you to remove two hex head screws from the bottom to remove the front, so you might find you need a spanner to get the front off.