Was I being unreasonable? EICR Clarifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having read again your reply's and with my quotes. You are confusing the tester who came in Feb with the one that came in May. The one that came in Feb is the rogue. The one that came in May is not a rogue in my opinion but is intentionally vague with his observations seeking the remedial work. Having checked, The Feb tester invoice initially was £112 with a further £15 for the 11th circuit that was taped off. The May tester invoice was £101

Having read again your reply's and with my quotes. You are confusing the tester who came in Feb with the one that came in May. The one that came in Feb is the rogue. The one that came in May is not a rogue in my opinion but is intentionally vague with his observations seeking the remedial work. Having checked, The Feb tester invoice initially was £112 with a further £15 for the 11th circuit that was taped off. The May tester invoice was £101
tbh neither are particularly ideal as shining examples of EICRs 

both were too cheap to get a decent report.

biggest rogue in Plymouth used to do this. Cheap test folowed by at least £600 of remedial works. Always the same faults found....
Therein lies the problem with EICR's, there is no independent adjudicator who can look at an EICR on behalf of the consumer and know it's inaccurate and wrong. Company A, Company B and Company C will all produce totally different EICR's. Where is the standard?

The only document in the public domain is produced by the Electrical Safety Council and its their best practice guide no 4 issue 5

ALL the electrical bodies contributed to this and its a very good start, not perfect  but available as a free download

don’t be taken in by people quoting  the NAPIT code breakers book which is riddled with errors which mainly benefit the trade and not the landlord’s.

The parliamentary committee which produced the legislation need to be shot because they are to blame for this fiasco

to any ladies Landlord reading this - if you aren’t happy, seek a 2nd opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
The only document in the public domain is produced by the Electrical Safety Council and its their best practice guide no 4 issue 5

ALL the electrical bodies contributed to this and its a very good start, not perfect  but available as a free download

don’t be taken in by people quoting  the NAPIT code breakers book which is riddled with errors which mainly benefit the trade and not the landlord’s.

The parliamentary committee which produced the legislation need to be shot because they are to blame for this fiasco

to any ladies Landlord reading this - if you aren’t happy, seek a 2nd opinion
I thought I was going to be flamed for that post. Respect! 

The Best Practice Guides may well be composed by the brain trusts however there is no requirement for you to follow them as they are not "official" and I would probably question the competence of someone who actually needs them.

The Best Practice Guides may well be composed by the brain trusts however there is no requirement for you to follow them as they are not "official" and I would probably question the competence of someone who actually needs them.
I do understand the Best Practice Guides do not have to be followed. My frustration is that I am compelled by Govt to have an EICR. There is no mandate to photograph any E1, E2, or E3 coding "observations". Vague one line sentences of the problem seem to be allowed. Refusal to provide any clarity also seems to be acceptable. It really is pant's!

I agree that a Report needs to be specific in its wording but this is down to the individual who compiles the Report and whether they have a Guide book poking out of their back pocket or not it is not going to affect their ability to compose a Report.

I agree that a Report needs to be specific in its wording but this is down to the individual who compiles the Report and whether they have a Guide book poking out of their back pocket or not it is not going to affect their ability to compose a Report.

Electricians are learned people (I have to say that on this site :)). It's not difficult to answer questions like "upstairs or downstairs?", "which security light?", Where are the unsecured cables". Come on.

Electricians are learned people (I have to say that on this site :)). It's not difficult to answer questions like "upstairs or downstairs?", "which security light?", Where are the unsecured cables". Come on.
I couldn't agree more.

you are completing missing the point of this best practice guide because it’s for Joe public not sparks but sparks need to consider what this guide suggests so landlords who pay us to do reports can understand the reports.

The software I use to produce my EICRs has free text fields so the customer gets the reg number and my comments about what the coded issue is and specifically where in the property

precisely and this comes back to people dishing out poorly completed EICRs 

you are completing missing the point of this best practice guide because it’s for Joe public not sparks but sparks need to consider what this guide suggests so landlords who pay us to do reports can understand the reports.

The software I use to produce my EICRs has free text fields so the customer gets the reg number and my comments about what the coded issue is and specifically where in the property

precisely and this comes back to people dishing out poorly completed EICRs 
Why do electricians need to consider these guides so a landlord can understand the Report. I can compose an understandable Report without a Guide. Which point am I missing.

It's also fair to say we are also mostly busy people, so compiling emails with pictures to support a report isn't difficult, but does take extra time, so isn't always done. It's something I like to do normally, but the rush on landlord cets has curtailed that to a point. 

IMHO supporting evidence should be mentioned in the Best Practice Guide as part of communicating any issues to a customer. 

Why do electricians need to consider these guides so a landlord can understand the Report. I can compose an understandable Report without a Guide. Which point am I missing.
the very point that who is to say that your codes are reasonable 

the BPG allows Joe public to question your codes 

the very point that who is to say that your codes are reasonable 

the BPG allows Joe public to question your codes 
The Guides are not official documents to cite the correct Code to quote. BS7671 which I work to only suggests Coding for one departure and experience allows me to correctly Code other departures as necessary. Guides can lead to blindness as opposed to competence and engineering judgement. 

Status
Not open for further replies.