Working With Power Presses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FozzyTime

Reaction score
Hi Guys, New Member hear. Just Wondering If there are any people who use these forums who have done allot of work with Power Presses. Iv Been Working with the for about a year now and still find when they break down they baffle the hell out of me. I find Common Problems Are Setters messing with things they don't understand and Broken Contacts (cheap imports) are the main culprit. Anybody Had Smiler of diffident common faults with presses?

would be great for some feedback

Fozz

Welcome to the forum Fozzy, as for your question, I use to do a lot of work involving heavy presses and if maintenance is not carried out routinely breakdowns are inevitable.

Machine setters do cause a lot of problems, and from all the actuators probably a fail rate of 80% is possible on larger stuff simply due to the stresses, and operators lack of care.

Most actuators I have replaced have been those damaged by users than any internal failure.

Hi Fozzy,

Welcome to the forum mate,

unfortunatly i have no idea what a power press is so im unable to help with that

but a very warm :Welcome:

thanks buddy. Have you ever done a complete press rewire? I.e New Panel , Control system and pneumatics set up. If so did you Encounter many problems?

Not a full rewire, I did some work on the pneumatics, and all our control panels were built by outside contractors.

Main problems with the pneumatics we encountered were on the hot presses, seldom on any cold presses.

A machine is a machine after all, and needs daily care, but nowadays gets daily abuse.

Spent ages pharting about with a fault on one , years ago.

All circuits seemed to check out OK, so, pull the guard down, hit the foot switch , press won't turn over. Trace it out all the way to the solenoid that operates the air clutch , it has 24V on it but its not faulty so why doesn't it work? Walk away and press suddenly turns over on its own!!!

It turned out to be the rubber flex feeding the valve was so perished with water and oil , the 24V was leaking away to earth and would not power the valve. Although the voltage appeared at the terminals . Replaced with 2 metres of PVC flex and problem solved.

Just by way of assistance, these things are

subject to examinations by an inspector under

the Power Press Regulations. Mind how you go.

On The Topic Of Air Clutches allot of people don't know that the solenoid valves(Normally Ross Or ShraderBellows)should have a test cert and should be a duel valve not a single operated one, can be a fair bit of Electrical work replacing single ones over when you have more than one press to do.

Used to work on forging presses and clip presses when i was a maint spark a few years ago.

Common probs,

Faulty ross valve on brakes and clutches.

Brake bands breaking

Prox switch on brake plate.

Clutch and brake faults on over run and under run timings.

Sticking soleniods.

Foot pedals.

Water in air line feeding the clutch and brake

And biggest prob was the bloke working it.

Spent hours working on Ross valves & Schrader valves as an apprentice.

We had presses up to IIRC, 3000 tonnes.

We were a BIW pressings plant, with plastics injection moulding added and sub assembly with primer & base coat paint.

Latest posts