Bargain Voltage Optimisation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
I was mooching around on ebay and found several VPhase items going cheap. It got me thinking about doing a personal experiment at home. The VO4Home is also listed (not cheap) as is the Voltis and Apex so they're all still on the market.

I've hunted through these forums and others and realise there's a lot been written before, especially when the domestic units came out, and includes very divided opinion about the science of voltage optimisation and it's applications.

The manufacturers' blurbs seem very certain about the benefits, vo4home even offers cash back. Surely they couldn't print their claims as it'd be against trades description?

I know VPhase are in administration but I can't find out why; are the units going cheap because there's now no support or no demand do you think?

As one of the 'problems' with domestic units is their initial cost, this is why I was wondering about trying out a bargain VX2.

Without repeating too much what's been said before, any new thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is a bargain price?

Perhaps they are for sale because they did not in fact save any money?
hehe, I thought you'd be quick to reply Dave. I've read your snake oil theories :) . If they don't save money, how can the manufacturers' case studies say they do?

They seem to be on ebay for £70-£100.

Canoeboy said:
I asked them (VPhase) over numerous emails to supply me one FOC - and i would fit in in my home and do a before (3 months) and after energy audit and post the results on the internet

They never replied - i also asked CEF (distributor) the same - They wouldn't either

Latest i found on the liquidation

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/vphase-sinks-soaring-losses-plunge-100300392.html

Wonder what happens to the Warranty on the VPhase units that are out in the field now - Probably not worth the paper they are written on  :innocent

I thought the same in the past. VO4home are still doing courses... I'm thinking of signing up for the free lunch if nowt else! :)

At that sort of price I am tempted to get one for my new house. That's at least a year away so scope for the price to drop further?

At that sort of price I am tempted to get one for my new house. That's at least a year away so scope for the price to drop further?
My thoughts exactly! The other companies may follow too.

A further thought is to have energy monitoring on every appliance and then try it with the lower voltages. proof in the pudding and all that. My office UPS provides a steady 230V - I'll start with seeing how much the PCs use on it and off it!

Snakeoil!! 

I am NOT surprised they have administration issues!

Basic problem is still that VPhase CANNOT optimise the majority of higher power domestic loads..

It cuts back into bypass mode...

So the perceived savings are much less than what you first may assume!

As a quick ref sample an item for sale on Amazon has the following 2 reviews....

from here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VPhase-VX1-Voltage-Optimiser-Solar/dp/B007N5HPW6/ref=sr_1_1/278-4544844-9384123?ie=UTF8&qid=1399459478&sr=8-1&keywords=vphase

This review is from: VPhase VX1 Voltage Optimiser Solar PV (Electronics)
The Vphase will handle a continuous load up to 2Kw, and intermittent loads up to 4.5Kw (20A)
Any appliance which takes the load above this will put the Vphase into 'bypass mode', then no savings until the load drops. This will include laundry appliances in particular.
High power heating circuits (immersion heaters, cookers, storage heaters) should not be connected in any case.
Low power heating appliances such as kettles will simply take longer to consume the same power.
So the reality is that for the typical house, savings are only possible for less than half the load.
If overloads trip the Vphase regularly, the savings will be substantially less than this.
The theoretical saving of reducing from 240v to 220v is 16%.
The Vphase claim of a 10% saving is true; BUT if this is 10% of half the total load, its only 5% overall.
So for a fairly typical house using a little over 4000 units a year - maybe a saving of 200 or £25.
Be careful when calculating return on investment.

This review is from: VPhase VX1 Voltage Optimiser Solar PV (Electronics)
We had a VPhase fitted and after several months and because of an increase in RCD nuisance trips had it removed when it started 'clicking' twice a minute 24/7. VPhase promptly sent out a replacement and will have the old one picked up so, good customer service. We were having a new consumer unit fitted with RCBO fitted on all rings as only one isnt adequate for a large house with many circuits. As all of our lights are now LCD the savings of a VPhase I doubt is worth the investment even if it doesnt cause problems. There has been a heated debate between electricians about the various Phase modulation energy saving devices offered for domestic use on the internet as to if they work or are worth the cost('Which' doesnt think so). The technology is widely used in industrial and commercial premises. There is a universal law 'simplest is best' the sure way to save energy is not to use it!

Sums it up quite well I think...

More efficient savings obtained by turning a few more things OFF when you are not using them!!

Guinness

simple physics... you cant get more out than you put in. less in = less out. switch your kettle on, it may be running at a lower voltage, but it will take longer to heat the water... switch your light on and it will have a lower voltage, so wont be as bright.... plug in a switch mode power supply and it will simply use more current to get the required output.

now i can understand some general public not understanding this, but an 'electrician' should easily be able to see it cant work