Tesla charging issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
Not really my field, so I thought it better to ask the experts
Anybody know why a Hypervolt home charge 2.0 should randomly trip its RCBO on an overnight charge? It’s on Octopus Smart charge tariff. It did it twice a few weeks ago and it’s done it twice again recently. Always at different times and levels of charge. Doesn’t seem to be linked with wet weather
It’s at a clients but I don’t have any EV test gear

my son-in-law had a tesla charger fitted and the same thing happened (RCD tripping) it turned out to be a faulty RCD, they got a them cheep , they knew they were bad but fitted them anyway, then waited for them to fail

Not really my field, so I thought it better to ask the experts
Anybody know why a Hypervolt home charge 2.0 should randomly trip its RCBO on an overnight charge?

Not my field either... (And basically I do not pursue any work in this sector)...
But I assume Hypervolt is not a Tesla specific charger unit?

Back in Oct/Nov 2019 I did connect a Tesla charger that a customer had bought themselves..
Something like one of these... https://shop.tesla.com/en_gb/product/wall-connector

Never heard of any issues or problems with it..?
But I did have to go back in late 2022 to disconnect it as they were moving, so selling the house..

I've been doing some work this year for them at their new house...
He still has the Tesla.. and the Tesla wall charger is still in a box in the garage!!
But says doesn't want it re-installed as he's thinking of selling the Tesla due to various problems and issues with it!?

However back to the original RCBO tripping problem...

(1) I assume it is just normal basics to test / check the functionality of an RCD/RCBO and the condition of the physical hard-wiring from supply to the charger input terminations?

(2) I guess a random internal fault on the charger could cause an RCD / RCBO to trip?

(3) Can a fault on the connection lead/flex/cable, cause an RCD / RCBO to trip?

(4) Can a fault on the internal bits of the car cause an RCD / RCBO to trip?

(5) If you have supplied and installed a charger... Is there any way legally you could be liable if it doesn't correctly function overnight...? e.g. Imagine a customer has to be at an important meeting/destination the following day, but the car has insufficient charge because an RCD/RCBO has tripped?? (I know if it were me I wouldn't be very happy and looking for someone to blame and/or get some compensation.)

While I have the kit for checking EV chargepoints I often wonder on the longevity of the connecting lead that connects the car to the chargepoint as I have never seen an adaptor for testing them like you would PAT test an extension lead or is this an opportunity that has not been exploited yet

While I have the kit for checking EV chargepoints I often wonder on the longevity of the connecting lead that connects the car to the chargepoint as I have never seen an adaptor for testing them like you would PAT test an extension lead or is this an opportunity that has not been exploited yet

there are adapters for EV points with built in leads but i don't think there's anything for testing the plug & socket leads

The charger does a "hand shake" with the car and I would have thought if there was a problem with the lead it would refuse to charge.

The charger does a "hand shake" with the car and I would have thought if there was a problem with the lead it would refuse to charge.
How does the hand shake decide if the lead is leaking dangerous electric though

TBH it’s more than likely that the RCD/RCBO can no longer cope with the thermal effects of having a high current running through it for a good few hours…. GARO have updated the 40A RCBO’s that go in their PEN protection devices for this very reason,,, ive had to replace one at my cost as it was a grant job and I had to give a 3 year warranty,, few all help from GARO on the part even thought they obviously acknowledge the problem given that they’ve updated it….. another manufacturer to add to the shit list 🤣

there are adapters for EV points with built in leads but i don't think there's anything for testing the plug & socket leads
I have the adaptors for testing the EV points with the built in leads and the ones without but you have highlighted another issue with the built in leads without disconnecting the lead from the charge point you can't IR them or do any end to end tests to prove the integrity of the lead

Latest posts